Quitting application

Reaction score
When I close certain windows down it doesn't actually quit them and they stay on the dock.

When you click close windows any way you can make sure they quit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The ONLY way to quit is via the menu bar. Hitting the red button merely closes the window, not the application. e.g. in Safari, go to the Menu Bar > Safari > Quit.

Reaction score
The way I close an app is to right click the apps icon on the dock and select Quit. You could also click and hold the icon for a second and then select Quit. Some use command+Tab and Tab to the app and then command+Q.
The red button only closes the Window unless the app can only have one window, like iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
When I close certain windows down it doesn't actually quit them and they stay on the dock.
It all depends on the Application. Apps that are designed to only have one window at a time open; eg, iPhoto, iMovie, will quit when you close the window.

Apps that are designed to have more than one window open will stay running when you close the window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The ONLY way to quit is via the menu bar. ... Menu Bar > Safari > Quit.

or

The way I close an app is to right click the apps icon on the dock and select Quit.

or

Command-Q from the keyboard.

All are essentially the same thing, just a different way of doing it. The red button is something different.

I bet unplugging the computer would Quit open Apps, but I'm not recommending that. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.