Clearing out Hard Drive but not applications

Reaction score
I'm preparing to sell my Mac to a friend and want to delete all my information, but keep the applications. I won't be able to clean everything out and re-instal because I don't have the proper disks or permissions for that. What I've done thus far is delete my admin account, and create a new one for her. It seems to me though, that that didn't do the job- it didn't clean out the hard drive of my pictures, movies, documents, etc. What should I do from here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry if you don't have the discs you should not either have them or pass them on. Larger suites such as Adobe and Microsoft Office will usually need to be re-activated when you migrate to another machine and that will not be possible. The software developers do this to avoid piracy.

Your best option is simply to foprmat and wipe the drive and then sell it to the buyer with the system discs that came with the machine, or if Lion or Mountain Lion via Recovery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.