Thomson.USBLAN_usbpart.kext

Reaction score
HI all, I've just tried to connect to an external back-up hard drive via my wireless connection (Thomson modem) and it won't let me install the back up hard drive and I keep getting the error message The system extension "/system/Library/Extensions/Thomson.USBLAN_usbpart.kext' was installed improperley and cannot be used. Please try re-installing it, or contact the vendor for an update".I"m using a MacBook Pro, I'm not connected via dongle (never have been - it's always been wireless) and I rang Teltra product support (for the useless T-Hub that this Thomson modem is connected to) and they have no idea what the problem is. I've seen other users post similar problems but not been able to find evidence of successful resolution - please, can any one assist? I'm not very experienced with computers so please simplify explanations as much as possible.

thanks, good people!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing you need to do is determine whether the Thomson modem supports connecting a hard drive to it in order for it to be used wireless. Also, it appears the software (kext = kernel extension) for the modem was not installed properly.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's also possible that the kext wasn't loaded because it was either written for the PowerPC architecture. Second, if you're running Mountain Lion, note that it won't load 32bit kexts so that may also be the problem. What version of OS X are you running and what Thomson software did you install?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks chscag and vansmith...
I called the provider and was told that the account set up at their end (they are also my internet service providers as well as the suppliers of the modem) is beset with errors.... so they need to sort out their stuff at their end. I tried repairing all my permissions in Disk Utility but that didn't help (saw that on a site on Google when someone else was getting the same message). I'm running OS X 10.7.5 and the Thomson software came with the Thomson modem and is part of a useless device called a T-Hub that my phone company talked me into getting - it's never worked properly. I used the software set up that came with it, in accordance with the instructions - I thought it installed OK but then, as I said, I'm not that computer-savvy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.