Bad SuperDrive?

Reaction score
So my Late 2009 iMac is no longer reading store-bought DVD videos. It will still read CDs and DVD-Rs, though. On a standard DVD video, the drive sounds like it's attempting to access the disk for ~ 30 seconds to a minute and then it ejects. Same behavior in OS X and WIndows 7 (via BootCamp). To me, that pretty much eliminates a software problem. Not sure if this could be fixed with a firmware flash for the drive or not.

I'm pretty experienced with PC hardware, and if this were a PC, I'd just replace the drive. However, since I've never really worked on a Mac's internals, I'd like the opinion of someone who has. I've found a source for a replacement drive (same Apple part number and OEM mfr/part) on eBay for ~$60. If anyone know of other good part resources I'd like to hear them. Also have the instruction for replacement of the drive. Doesn't seem much different from disassembling a laptop (which I've done a few times before).

Thanks for the help.

-Dylan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a good price if it's an exact replacement Apple optical drive.

Doesn't seem much different from disassembling a laptop (which I've done a few times before).

Well an iMac is not a laptop... in case you're not aware of what's involved in getting inside an iMac to replace anything, see the instructions for doing so at iFixit: The free repair manual. (The entire display assembly will have to removed first.)

OP
D
Reaction score
Well an iMac is not a laptop...

What I meant by that is laptops use the same type of "assembly" methods where you've got to remove layers of components to get to the one you need to replace. I've read the instructions and have already made a test run of removing and replacing the glass. I've done full disassemblies/reassemblies on laptops, including replacing LCDs, so removing the display does not worry me. My main concern is that going through all that work to replace the drive may not solve the problem.

-Dylan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears you're more than capable to change out the drive. That's good because most folks don't know what they're getting into....

My main concern is that going through all that work to replace the drive may not solve the problem.

From your initial description it sounds like a bad drive to me too. I'm assuming you tried cleaning the laser with compressed air?

OP
D
Reaction score
I have not tried that. Definitely worth a try, though. Thanks for bringing it up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.