MacBook Pro (2011) Speakers not working in Win7

Reaction score
Macbook Pro 15"

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this problem. I am presently in Thailand on holiday, and would like some advice please. I only have the laptop with me. I have no discs whatsoever.

I dual boot (OS Lion) to windows 7 Pro x 64 (using BootCamp) all the time to use a particular Flight Simulator game and disabled the speakers today because my friends complained of an echo using Teamspeak. To talk to them I used my plantronics head set and microphone. It worked well.

The problem is that when I disabled the speakers (do not use this device (disable)), the icon disappeared from the sound playback settings in the windows 7 control panel. Because this icon disappeared I am unable to reselect "use this device (enable)" to enable the speakers again.

Does anyone have any advice on how get this device icon (speakers) to show again in the sound menu so that I can "use this device (enable)" and use the Macbook's internal speakers with other applications ?

Thanks in anticipation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know why you just didn't choose to "mute" the speakers from the sound control panel rather than disable the speaker device entirely? I'm not sure if Windows 7 also disables the driver at the same time, but if it does you may not be able to re-enable it until you get home and reinstall the driver.

You can try to use the "detect hardware wizard" in Windows 7 to see if it will pickup the speakers and reinstall them along with the associated driver.

Reaction score
right click my computer select properties, then from the left hand pain select device manager.

look for your sound device , right click select enable.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses

I have received the correct reply from another forum.....

If you right click, There should be an option to show disabled devices

It works and is now enabled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.