display dim setting

Reaction score
Have a 2006 iMac.... I want to increase the time interval that the display will dim due to inactivity. I thought this was in the System Preference > Energy Saver section. However, I do not find an option to do that there i.e. something to the effect of: Dim screen after _____ minutes. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Yours dosen't have a "display sleep" slider scale to adjust the time?

OP
U
Reaction score
If I do, I cannot find it. I am looking in the "Energy Saver" area. Cannot find it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, mine is under "Energy Saver" too, so you are in the right area, but I should note that I have a model bought in August 2012, if that makes a difference.

OP
U
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I do have a "display sleep" slider scale. However, that puts the screen into sleep mode--screen goes completely dark. I am referring to the fact that the screen simply dims and does not go completely blank. It goes several shades less bright if you will. When the screen dims after about 1 minute I neet to hit a key or something to restore the screen to it's "normal" brightness. This brightness seems unrelated to the "brightness' sliding scale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, yes I see what you mean. I want that feature too but I've dug around in the past for it and we don't have it, much to my regret.

I hate when it goes into sleep mode (have to revive it with a password). It would be nice if it would go dim for an extended period.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I hate when it goes into sleep mode (have to revive it with a password).

The reason why your computer does this...is because it is set up to require a password after "sleep" or "screensaver" begins. It does not have to be this way if you do not desire it. It's simply a security measure.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ Yes, but I want it both ways. I have it go to Sleep after a half hour (like when I leave the house, let's say).
However, the computer is on all day, but sometimes I step away from it and it's a pain to re-enter the password (OK, yes, I'm lazy).

So why do I not just set it to Never? Because I want the energy saving feature of the dimming of the screen; energy savings minmal for sure, I know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
^ Yes, but I want it both ways. I have it go to Sleep after a half hour (like when I leave the house, let's say).
However, the computer is on all day, but sometimes I step away from it and it's a pain to re-enter the password (OK, yes, I'm lazy).

To minimize the amount of password entry after going to "sleep"...why not increase the "sleep time" to something greater than 30 minutes?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.