Recovery Options

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen, I beg your assistance. I had a hard drive failure which required me to install a new, unformatted, hard drive. I have a 2011 mbp with a factory lion install. I booted to recovery, which in my case with a new hard drive equates to an internet recovery, and have been handed a 4403F error code. I have checked with the ISP and no ports are blocked, so I have no idea why it isn't working; but it isn't. So, what are my options? Can I download something that will format my drive and at least link me up with apple in the states (I am in South Africa right now), like the recovery partition that is bootable from a thumb drive? Can I download a bootable Lion OS? There is no real istore here to go to, so I am at the mercy of what I can download, or buy off of itunes, and boot to.

I have posted earlier with regards to my failed hd, but seem to be at a different stage now, I have included the link to my previous post which may provide some additional information.

I appreciate the help, things like this are tough to get taken care of in this country. It was frustrating enough just trying to hunt down a hard drive.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/293442-failed-hd-help.html

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The solutions I've seen suggest either connecting to a different network or connecting your Mac via ethernet instead of wifi.

OP
P
Reaction score
I plan on trying to connect to a neighbors network tomorrow, but I have my doubts it will work. I have about the best ISP that one can get here, and I am plugged in for this activity (no wifi). I have tried the Internet recovery every way I could think of including walking my ISP through the process so they could verify that no ports are blocked.

By your response I take it there is no downloadable solution?

Thanks again.

C

chas_m

And you can't use the previously-suggested "plug it directly into your router with an Ethernet cord" solution BECAUSE ....

OP
P
Reaction score
I did, that's what I meant by "I am plugged in for this activity, no wifi".

Anyway, all it took was some money to the guy at the "istore". Got a fresh lion install.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.