iphone 5 water damage

Reaction score
HEy everyone

My wife got me an iPhone 5 last year and she bought Applecare+ along with it. Five days ago I dropped my iPhone in water, it was on so when I took it out it just turned off by itself, I put it in a bag full of rice and its been there for the last 4 days. Today I turned it on and it was alright, but Ive noticed sometimes it gets slow or gets stuck so i have to turn it off and back on. I was wondering since I have applecare+ .. do u think i could bring it to an Apple store and get a new one or at least a refurbished one? .. also when I dropped it it got a few dents too .. so I guess it would be cool if i can get a phone that has no water damage and hopefully not dents.. do you think they'd give me a new phone or would they open it and just change whatever is wrong with it inside? thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
By all means take it to your local Apple store and turn it in for another one! You do realize that with Apple Care Plus you must pay a deductible and that the Apple store may provide you with a refurbished iPhone 5 instead of a new one?

I say "may" provide.... chances are if you talk to them nice and tell them what happened, they'll give you a new one. But you'll still have to pay the deductible.

OP
gabo864
Reaction score
I read on the Applecare+ contract that I would have to pay $40. Is that the only fee? or will they charge me any extras? I was just asking because I didnt know if they would just give me a new or refurbished phone or if they would keep mine and just change whatever is wrong with it inside. thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Take it in and find out what they are going to charge you. Pretty sure the iPhone plan is $49 per incident and covers up to 2 accidental damage claims.

I haven't seen any reports since they implemented AppleCare+ to know "for sure" what they're going to do.

Let us know what happens. Am sure there are a lot of folks interested - especially those still trying to decide if the AppleCare + is worth the money or not.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I purchased my iPad 3 with Apple Care +, the sales person at the Apple store said in the event of accidental damage they would replace it for the $49 deductible. He didn't say whether or not the replacement would be new, but I suspect it will likely be a refurbished unit. Which is fine since Apple refurbished units are like new anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.