Laptop Cooler

Reaction score
Hey-o everyone:)
New to posting on the forums even though Google has directed me here plenty of times. It's a really useful site!
So my question here is, which laptop cooler is best for me?

MacBook Pro
15-inch, Mid 2012
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

I usually just game (WoW, Runescape), Skype, OmgPop and Netflix on my laptop.
However, they all end up w/ my laptop getting hot.
I went to the Genius Bar and WoW no longer sounds like an airplane, but I still don't like it getting hot.

SO which laptop cooler is best for me? Links to amazon, half.com, or other websites would be appreciated. :)

Hottest usually in top left corner, along the bottom of the screen (not the screen though), and either side of the mousepad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most notebook coolers are a waste of money and don't really work - but instead make noise and blow a lot of air around. Your MacBook Pro is designed to run at those temperatures. If it gets too hot it's engineered to shut down to prevent damage. Buy a notebook stand instead. A stand allows air to flow under your machine and also provides some protection against a nasty spill.

OP
S
Reaction score
Notebook Stand

Could you direct me to a good notebook stand?
I'm new to this as I've always had desktops/laptops that didn't really overheat.
Something that would work on a desk please :)
Thank you! :cool:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this LINK at Amazon.com. I have a Griffin Elevator stand which I used with my MacBook for 3 years before I sold it. Real nice and very sturdy. LINK

OP
S
Reaction score
Elevator

Haha that looks like it'd keep it nice and cool.. But isn't it a little tall?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're looking for one just for use in your lap, on the floor, bed - I use a Rain Design stand - comfortable padding, but they are not inexpensive - link. Have had mine for 6 years. Just have to look around for one you like and in your price range. I don't go for the ones with fans either.

For desktop, something like chscag suggested with an external keyboard helps keep your notebook safer from spills etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
But isn't it a little tall?
Not really. Laptop stands are designed to put the screen up into the ideal viewing position, to prevent neck/back ache.

OP
S
Reaction score

Try this LINK at Amazon.com. I have a Griffin Elevator stand which I used with my MacBook for 3 years before I sold it. Real nice and very sturdy. LINK

Thanks, I think I'll be getting this one.

Thanks for everyone that commented :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.