HELP: Why does it take 4 to 5 times of clicking "Sleep" for it to finally sleep?!

Reaction score
One of the most annoying things about my Macbook Pro 17 is that it sometimes takes 4 to 6 times after clicking "Sleep" (Apple > Sleep) to get my Mac to finally go to sleep. I just did a PRAM reset and its still doing that. Can someone please tell me how I can fix this?

Thank you very much. :)

Macbook Pro 17, 2.5 Ghz, 6 GB of RAM, V 10.6.8

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Resetting the PRAM does not control the "sleep" function. Try resetting the SMC instead: See this LINK. If that doesn't work then it's likely you have something running in the background preventing your MBP from sleeping. Next time if that occurs, open your Activity Monitor app and look to see what's going on that may be keeping it from sleeping.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One of the most annoying things about my Macbook Pro 17 is that it sometimes takes 4 to 6 times after clicking "Sleep" (Apple > Sleep) to get my Mac to finally go to sleep. I just did a PRAM reset and its still doing that. Can someone please tell me how I can fix this?

One possibility is you're not being patient enough. When you tell the computer to go to "sleep"...one of the things that the computer does is write the information that is currently stored in ram to the hard drive. This sometimes can take a while. The more ram you have...the potentially more info is stored in the ram...and the longer this process can take.

I would suggest telling your computer to go to "sleep" just once...then be patient & give the computer some time to do what it needs to do.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
So its not enough to click Command/Tab to see whats running?

I will do the SMC reset.

Resetting the PRAM does not control the "sleep" function. Try resetting the SMC instead: See this LINK. If that doesn't work then it's likely you have something running in the background preventing your MBP from sleeping. Next time if that occurs, open your Activity Monitor app and look to see what's going on that may be keeping it from sleeping.

Thank you.

When it won't go to sleep I can click "Sleep" and it goes black instantly but then turns back on after about 15 seconds. Are you saying that even though it turns back on after 15 seconds or so that I should just leave it alone and it will automatically go to sleep on its own after that?

Thank you

One possibility is you're not being patient enough. When you tell the computer to go to "sleep"...one of the things that the computer does is write the information that is currently stored in ram to the hard drive. This sometimes can take a while. The more ram you have...the potentially more info is stored in the ram...and the longer this process can take.

I would suggest telling your computer to go to "sleep" just once...then be patient & give the computer some time to do what it needs to do.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When it won't go to sleep I can click "Sleep" and it goes black instantly but then turns back on after about 15 seconds. Are you saying that even though it turns back on after 15 seconds or so that I should just leave it alone and it will automatically go to sleep on its own after that?

This is kind of a different situation than was described in post #1...but yes try what I suggested earlier. If your computer doesn't go to sleep (after telling it only once) after 5 minutes (it should take a lot less)...then something certainly would seem to be wrong.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Most likely culprit is that you're not quitting all your apps before putting the machine to sleep, and/or have "wake on network access" checked in Energy Saver prefs. Fixing both of those should result in nearly-instant sleep.

OP
M
Reaction score
I haven't had time to do the SMC reset yet, maybe later today, but no, the "Wake for network access" box was unchecked in Preferences. I almost always check by clicking Command - Tab to see if I have any stuff running that could be an issue before trying to go to sleep. But isn't stuff like MS Word passive in that it shouldn't effect whether the computer goes to sleep or not?

Most likely culprit is that you're not quitting all your apps before putting the machine to sleep, and/or have "wake on network access" checked in Energy Saver prefs. Fixing both of those should result in nearly-instant sleep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.