What to install for Office?

Reaction score
Hello All, I have a quick question. I just got a new computer and I need to get a program with Office in it. Should I wait for the new iWork or Lion? For get the 2011 program now? I am still using my "old" computer that has Micorsoft Word on it until I make up my mind. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For get the 2011 program now? I am still using my "old" computer that has Micorsoft Word on it until I make up my mind. Any suggestions would be great.

Since there have been many versions of Microsoft Office...and you've already informed us that you're using your "old computer"...it would help tremendously if you told us what model computer it is (be specific)...and what Mac OS version it is running.

And in case you didn't know...the first version of Microsoft Word for the Macintosh ran on models from the Mid-1980's...so without more info...your "old" computer running Microsoft Word could be just about anything.;)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Hello Pig003

Yes, ok. I am really bad at this kind of thing. ( Which is why I use Macs they are so user friendly.;) ) My old computer is an iMac with 1 GB and an Intel Core 2 Duo using the Mac OS X version 10.5.8. The Micorsoft program I am/was using is Microsoft Word X for Mac 1 .
I love this new computer but I haven't really figured it out yet. My other computer's processor is giving out and that is partly why I got a new one. Anyway, I hope this information helps a bit more. Sorry for the long winded response.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello Pig003

Yes, ok. I am really bad at this kind of thing. ( Which is why I use Macs they are so user friendly.;) ) My old computer is an iMac with 1 GB and an Intel Core 2 Duo using the Mac OS X version 10.5.8. The Micorsoft program I am/was using is Microsoft Word X for Mac 1 .

Questions:

1. Why are you against Microsoft Office 2011? As it stands...your computer meets the system requirements for Office 2011.

2. Do you absolutely need Microsoft Office/Microsoft Word? If not...there are other alternatives...such as "NeoOffice" and Open Office":

NeoOffice
OpenOffice

3. Of course Apple's "iWork '09" suite of programs will also work.

FYI...all of these programs can import files from Microsoft Office.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you want the best lash out on Office 2011. Then make sure you update to the current version, 14.2.5.

OP
L
Reaction score
I have chosen Office for now. But in the future I think I am going to get OpenOffice. Okay, I have decided which one..now I don't have a cd/disc slot on this computer..what will I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can buy MS Office for Mac 2011 from on line resellers as a download, or you can buy it direct from Microsoft as a direct download.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.