Updating Macbook to 10.6

Reaction score
I have one of the older white Macbooks thats running on 10.5 and I just got 10.6. I would like to install the new OS and also clear the hard drive so it's like a new computer. Whats the best way to go about this?

TIA.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot the MacBook with the Snow Leopard DVD, enter Disk Utility, wipe the hard drive, format it, and proceed with the Snow Leopard install. Take note that unless you purchased the Snow Leopard box edition, it does not include the iLife applications.

It might be wise to make a Time Machine backup first of your data before proceeding with the above. Then after Snow Leopard is installed and before you create an account, migrate the Time Machine data to Snow Leopard. That way you'll preserve iLife and all your data. Time Machine will not overwrite any of the Snow Leopard system files.

OP
M
Reaction score
I put the disc in and clicked restart but it just installed 10.6 and I still have everything. Should I use the same disc and go to Utilities, and then restart?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to boot to the Snow Leopard disk. What you did was reboot and allow Snow Leopard to automatically upgrade from Leopard. When you reboot with the disk you need to either hold down the C key or Option key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.