2009 21.5 imac

Reaction score
Hi all

I have the late 2009 21.5 imac 3.06Ghz, 1tb HD 4GB ram which started to show the folder with the question mark when booting up. I ran the hardware test which confirmed a hard disk failure but last night my imac was able to boot up dispite being a little bit slow.

my question is, i still have some cover left on my apple care but will they replace the hard drive if the imac loads up?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi all

I have the late 2009 21.5 imac 3.06Ghz, 1tb HD 4GB ram which started to show the folder with the question mark when booting up. I ran the hardware test which confirmed a hard disk failure but last night my imac was able to boot up dispite being a little bit slow.

As you already know...this hard drive is very very close to completely dying. DEFINITELY back up anything that is important (if not backed up already).

my question is, i still have some cover left on my apple care but will they replace the hard drive if the imac loads up?

Technically speaking...Applecare only covers manufacturing defects. Since hard drives are mecanical devices (prone to wear just like tires/tyres on an automobile)...this would really not count as a manufacturing defect. Also..this hard drive has been in operation since 2009...so getting close to 4 years of use.

But with all that said...you never really know...Apple may replace it...you just have to check with Apple/your local Apple Store.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
S
Reaction score
I Had already check the replacement program and my iMac is not on of the ones with a Seagate drive. according to the Hardware info my mac says it is using a WDC WD1001FALs-40U9B0 which i gather is a Western Digital drive. It was making some unusual noises before the issue started. Currently it's backup and running but i think it's only a matter of time before it completely fails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think you are right about the time limitation. Download and use to diagnose the health of your drive and receive advance warning before it goes. Suggest getting an external drive and clone the drive with SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner.

http://www.corecode.at/smartreporter/

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi have downloaded the Smart Reporter, also downloaded HD Tune pro as im running XP on bootcamp and it has given me some results.

21-January-2013_22-04.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get ready to replace the drive. Got a reliable backup for transferring your information over? To have AppleCare the computer would have to be purchased in 2010. If so try Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.