share a folder in mountain lion via internet to pc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac27 OSX10.8.2 I7 2.93
Hi,
i have an imac with osx10.8.2.
i want to share one folder, so a friend in another country can download and upload files.
he uses a pc with xp.
i dont know how to do that! please help me what to do in mountain lion and how to setup router port forwardin etc!
Thank You!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can setup file sharing from the Sharing preference pane, you can even allow access to a contact in your address book, so add your friend in there, and on the sharing options button select share over IP that will allow sharing on your network

To share over the internet you will need a static ip address on your mac, in the network preference panel, if it says using DHCP then change that to Using DHCP with manual address andtype in your new address

Lastly you router will need to forward SMB ports to your new IP address and then your friend can login using the Public ip address, which is shown on your router pages

That said, if you just want to share photos then set-up a new Dropbox (or Google drive) account and share the username and password with your friends, much easier to set-up

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That said, if you just want to share photos then set-up a new Dropbox (or Google drive) account and share the username and password with your friends, much easier to set-up
This is the much easier solution. Use a cloud sharing service (such as Dropbox, Google Drive or SkyDrive) and just share the folder.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac27 OSX10.8.2 I7 2.93
Thank you Louishen,
i found everything you told me, but what ports would that be for smb? and is it udp or tcp for the ports or both? one more question! how would my friend access the folder for down and upload? through internetexplorer? what would he type in? only my provider IP adress?
sorry, but im quite new to all that!
the reason i am not using cloud, is because i am talking about large dataamount like 100 gig...
thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
SMB uses TCP port 139 (although it is usually a predefined port on most routers) - what router do you have

Your friend would have to type in smb:\\123.456.78.55 (the number being your public IP address) in Windows explorer or setup a network drive using the public ip number, but google that for windows since I have always had a hit and miss relationship with windows sharing

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac27 OSX10.8.2 I7 2.93
Thanks, i have a linksys wrt160, so i will type in portforwarding tcp port 139 to my imacs ip.
i will try that tonight or on the weekend, and then let you all know if it worked!
thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.