First Mac: iMac or MacBook Pro?

B

BoingoBongo

Hi,

I'm on the verge of buying my first Mac ever. I've been wanting one for years, so naturally, I'm quite excited. However I'd like a little input if you guys don't mind.

I'm 20 and in college, so saving enough money to get a new computer has been quite a challenge, but somehow I managed. I'm currently using a Dell laptop that is good for basic things like internet, Office, and light audio recording/editing. I initially planned on getting a Powerbook, but then the Intel machines were announced and I planned on getting a MacBook. I'm going to do a large amount of graphic design, editing, etc (I have no problem waiting for universal software to come out). I guess my main problem is deciding which computer to get...

I am planning to sell my current computer to pay for the MacBook. The thing is, I just realized an Intel iMac would be $1,000 cheaper (including tax) than a MacBook. I could afford it and still be able to keep my current computer for portability. I'd really like to save that much money, and I'd be able to have a new computer right in time for the upcoming semester. I'm just scared of spending all that money and then later on wishing my wonderful Mac was more portable.

Anyway, I'm just looking for any input/advice. I'm getting pretty frustrated because I've been stuck in a state of PC moratorium for a long time now and I'd really like to be able to be productive again.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
well first you need to tell us which is more important, portability and power? or media and storage and power?

OP
B

BoingoBongo

Well, I'd prefer portability, but I'm not sure if it's worth $1,000.

Either computer will be "fully loaded" so I kind of thought they were more or less equals?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
wellif you really wanted portability and power, you could get and ibook (1 grand) and an imac, the best of both worlds! To me the macbook pro doesn't seem worth it unless you see yourself moving around a lot. To do the kind of work you'd do on a high power machine like that i'd rather sit down and do it at a desktop myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I say go for the MBP. I personally love using my laptop as a desktop. I have a second 20" ACD to hook up to my PowerBook, an external mouse, and just use the existing keyboard. It works out great for me, and I can keep everything the same when I travel or when I'm at home. I don't have to have two completely different computers with different settings, I don't have to worry about changing my iTunes or iPhoto library between the two and updating and such. It saves me a lot of work, having only one machine. The time when getting a desktop is advantageous, in my opinion, is in two cases: A. You don't currently have a computer, and need to get something more affordable as a result or B. the desktop is significantly more powerful. For you, neither of these is the case. If you can sell your old laptop to buy the new one, go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's all about the registry free OS not OS Itself: so Yes to Unix, Apple OS X, oh, and Linux :alien:

OP
B

BoingoBongo

Well I just order my very first Mac...

...an iMac! I decided it was the best choice/value, and I can still keep my XP Notebook around too for portability.

Intel Core Duo 20" iMac
2ghz dual processor
2gb Ram
Upgraded video card w/256 mb of ram
250gb hard drive
8X DL DVD burner

It's sure going to be a long wait!!

OP
B

Badknee

I think you will be glad you got the iMac. I only have the iMac G5, but I love it.

As to portability - a little personal info. I'm laid up at home right now, had a little heart problem which required a stent. I got one of my colleagues to bring my iMac to me at the house, as I've done in the past. I'm now sitting in my recliner, using the built-in wireless of my iMac to connect to my cable modem. It's just like being at my office (school) - I use my browser and email just as if I was sitting at my desk.

So, iMacs "are" somewhat portable, since they are all-in-ones. I do have an extra keyboard at home, but I use an extra Logitech mouse - that's better than trying to drag a desktop PC home. I just put the iMac on my carseat, being careful to have the screen facing up, and take it home.

You'll LOVE your new iMac - just wished I had waited to get the new ones , but you can't think like that. There's always something new coming out.

OP
B

BoingoBongo

I really can't wait for it. Scheduled for delivery by Feb. 6th.

Sorry to hear about your health problems, hopefully you're feeling better and will be good as new asap!

OP
B

BoingoBongo

I got an email this morning saying my computer has shipped and should be here on Monday. It originally said it wouldn't be shipped until Monday and then delivered a week later. I'm very impressed with Apple this far!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.