New member to the Apple World

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the apple world and My Fiancee and I had just picked up a 12inch iBook G4 and a iMac 17'' Duo yesterday. We have always had Windows and this would be our first Mac computers. Loving it so far, only thing is that on the iBook G4, we notice a dot on the screen which seems maybe a dead pixel. Kind of sucks cause its brand new, my fiancee was playing with it and now wants to Order the Powerbook Intel Duo. Since there is something wrong with the iBook, would they let us exchange it for the New Powerbook thats coming out in Feb? or would we have to pay the restocking fee?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Well you should first bring it back to the store, i bet they could let you change in the ibook for a powerbook. what do you mean the powerbook dual intel? in FEB? where did u get this? the only intel laptop out now is the macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
macAttack said:
Well you should first bring it back to the store, i bet they could let you change in the ibook for a powerbook. what do you mean the powerbook dual intel? in FEB? where did u get this? the only intel laptop out now is the macbook pro

The PowerBook is being phased out, it's all about the MacBook now.

As for your concerns, eh, I'd personally stick with a PowerBook if you're going to trade up. Not only does it include FireWire 800 and a modem (they may be needed in certain cirumstances), but there are few Intel-native apps, which could mean slow-down from Rosetta. Granted, if all you do is web browsing and Word, it's not much, but if you use alot of processor intensive apps (Photoshop, Final Cut) it'll be a bit of a slow-down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
id deff take it back to trade it in for a newer ibook cause of the screen needs to be replaced, thats not a big deal, id get your hands on a PB when you can, i know they prolly will drop a few bucks cause of the Macbook Pro comin out replacing it, so maybe wait for a end of the line PB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
macAttack said:

The MacBook Pro's will not ship until Feb. I believe that is what he is speaking of.

OP
I
Reaction score
macAttack said:

Sorry if i wasnt being descriptive enough, I meant my fiancee wants to take back the iBook 12'' and Order the New Powerbook thats coming out in Feb.

She is trying to pursue a career in Photography and is basically looking for something portable and will be able to Photoshop without noticing slow down.

So do you all think she should wait a bit to get the New Powerbook or would it be safe to Order it and be one of the testers of a new model product?

Reaction score
The new laptop coming out in Feb is the MacBookPro. It is not a Powerbook, and it's 15.4", not the 12" you are thinking of. I would say return the iBook and get a Powerbook 12".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
iMac2K6 said:
Sorry if i wasnt being descriptive enough, I meant my fiancee wants to take back the iBook 12'' and Order the New Powerbook thats coming out in Feb.

She is trying to pursue a career in Photography and is basically looking for something portable and will be able to Photoshop without noticing slow down.

So do you all think she should wait a bit to get the New Powerbook or would it be safe to Order it and be one of the testers of a new model product?

The new Pro level laptop that is coming out in Feb. is the MacBook Pro. However, it is powered by an Intel chip, which means programs developed for the PowerPC chip have to be emulated using a program named Rosetta. This will cause noticable slowdown, so if you're wife needs the editing and whatnot, she should nab PowerBook while they're still available.

OP
I
Reaction score
to_tough_to_die said:
The new Pro level laptop that is coming out in Feb. is the MacBook Pro. However, it is powered by an Intel chip, which means programs developed for the PowerPC chip have to be emulated using a program named Rosetta. This will cause noticable slowdown, so if you're wife needs the editing and whatnot, she should nab PowerBook while they're still available.

I apologize, but what do you mean programs for the PowerPC chip has to be emulated? Would this go along with the new iMac as well?

Thanks again for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, that is what he means. Any software that has not been re-written for the Intel processor will have to be run via the emulator (Rosetta) on any Intel based Mac. Apple is currently writing their software to be Universal, meaning it will run natively on either a PPC chip or Intel chip, other software makers are following suit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.