• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

AT&T to enable FaceTime over cellular for all tiered data customers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's about time Ma Bell did something that was nice for a change. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I bet they are changing their attitude so as to look a little more favorable in the FCC's eyes when bidding on the new spectrum TV stations lost or gave up how ever you perceive it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
AT&T began quietly activating FaceTime over cellular for more subscribers in November. At the time, some users who had grandfathered unlimited data plans said they too were able to use FaceTime. However, Wednesday's announcement indicated the ability will only extend to customers who have tiered data plans.

Does this mean - if you have the unlimited plan you aren't supposed to get FaceTime over cellular on AT&T? The way it reads is - some people have it - but they aren't supposed to have it on unlimited plans. That would suck.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is exactly what it means - unlimited plan - no FaceTime - no texting without paying an extra charge for it - no tethering without paying an extra charge for it.

AT&T is being altruistic by enabling this feature at this point in time. They are betting that when folks have FaceTime available on their tiered plans, there will be enough of them go over their limits and or have the need to upgrade their tiered plan.

edit:
Actually no tethering allowed unless you switch to a tiered 5 GB plan at an additional cost of $20/mth per device above the cost of the unlimited plan.

Reaction score
I have unlimited data plan which is crazy because I don't feel like I got in early..............

When will they hook me up with FACETIME over cellular?

I can understand they don't want me to eat up data by using FaceTime.

But even if I get out of control they will throttle me back anyway right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have unlimited data plan which is crazy because I don't feel like I got in early..............

When will they hook me up with FACETIME over cellular?

I can understand they don't want me to eat up data by using FaceTime.

But even if I get out of control they will throttle me back anyway right?

Exactly its your data you pay for and you should be able to use your allotment however you choose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.