Failing Hard Drive/RAM/Other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 24" [early 2008] 3.06GHz 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.8.2
Dear all

I'll try to keep my post as brief as possible. And, advanced warning: I'm not very 'tech'! Apologies for that.

I have an early 2008 iMac, which is behaving excessively sluggish of late. Have previously posted a question on this forum. Others think it may be a failing hard drive. Here is a link to the previous conversation:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...ing-up-saving-data-real-slow-please-help.html

Today I found out there is a thing called Apple Hardware Test, and so I've run it! It has given me the following as an error code:

4MOT/2/40000004: HDD-1407

Can anyone tell me what this error code means, or where I can find out what it means?

Is my hard drive dead? Or is it some other hardware issue, like the RAM or something?

Seriously grateful for any advice from you tech savvy individuals, thank you very much!

Will

p.s. the link I provided contains sufficient info on the background to my problem, should you be interested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My bet would be HD failure but to answer a few questions first did this happen all the sudden?
How much free space on drive?
Did this happen after an app download?
Are you using some form of anti-virus (hope not)?

Reaction score
Fan Motor

The error code 4MOT referrs to your fan motor, which cools the inside of the computer. The HDD part most likely refers to your hard drive, so I'd guess that your hard drive fan has failed. If you can still run applications, download the Temperature Monitor, and look in your menu bar to see if any temperatures are outstandingly high. I would suggest going into a Mac store to ask about fan replacement.

OP
williamhaviland
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 24" [early 2008] 3.06GHz 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.8.2
The error code 4MOT referrs to your fan motor, which cools the inside of the computer. The HDD part most likely refers to your hard drive, so I'd guess that your hard drive fan has failed. If you can still run applications, download the Temperature Monitor, and look in your menu bar to see if any temperatures are outstandingly high. I would suggest going into a Mac store to ask about fan replacement.

Thank you for this info!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.