Apple Hardware Test query...

pod

Reaction score
I have an old iBook along with it's original OS X Tiger install discs: one of these discs contains the Apple Hardware Test. I have now updated the iBook to OS X Leopard via Apple's OS X Leopard 10.5 Retail Family Pack install disc.

I now want to run the Apple Hardware Test but don't believe I should from my Original Tiger discs as I'm now on the newer Leopard OS. I cannot see an AHT on the Leopard disc. Is it there somewhere and I've just missed it?

If not, how do I run the AHT on this iBook running Leopard?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I now want to run the Apple Hardware Test but don't believe I should from my Original Tiger discs as I'm now on the newer Leopard OS. I cannot see an AHT on the Leopard disc. Is it there somewhere and I've just missed it?

Your Leopard disk does not have the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) on it...only those gray disks (disk #2) has the AHT on it. Each AHT file is specific for a specific group of computers. Apple would have to include ALL AHT files for All computer models on the Leopard disk...and this isn't feasible.

If not, how do I run the AHT on this iBook running Leopard?

If you need to run the AHT...you just boot the iBook from your gray "Tiger" disk to run the AHT as needed. The OS version does not matter...the specific AHT file is what is important.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.