Repairing/replacing trackpad button

Reaction score
I have a 2006 13" white MacBook. The button on the trackpad is not working on the left or the right. It only clicks in the middle. Please could someone let me know how I could get this repaired and how much it would cost roughly?

Many thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 2006 13" white MacBook. The button on the trackpad is not working on the left or the right. It only clicks in the middle. Please could someone let me know how I could get this repaired and how much it would cost roughly?

Many thanks

The trackpad button on MacBooks only has one click. If your trackpad button still "clicks" correctly in the middle...and not on the sides...then the switch in the button is either seriously worn...or a lot of gunk, food, fuzz, dust, finger-cheese, etc. has gotten built-up under the button.

If you did want to repair/replace...your MacBook would need a new/newer topcase. This is the part that includes everything you see on the top portion of the bottom half of the computer (keyboard, trackpad, speakers, power button, etc.). The last time I checked this part cost approx. $150 + labor if you need it installed.

A 2006 MacBook is probably worth around $200-$250...so spending $150+ probably isn't a great idea. If the trackpad button is still working (just not as good as new)...you may just have to live with it...or you could:

- use an external mouse
- use the trackpads "tap to click" settings

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.