• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The unofficial backup poll

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
Do you backup?
- Yes

What do you backup?
- Documents
- Photos
- Bookmarks

How often do you backup?
- 1 or 2 times per week

What method do you use to backup?
- External hdd

EDIT: I obviously stink at making polls. How do I add more than 1 question to my poll?

Reaction score
Only personal documents, music files, and certain settings files.

Usually once a month, but sometimes I'll do it just because I changed a lot of stuff or bought some new music.

I use an external HD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Documents, Music, Videos, Downloaded files, Pictures.

Quite often.

I use either an External HDD or DVD R/W Rewritable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Music, Movies/videos and pictures. They all reside on one of 3 mirrored RAID arrays, so the backup is built in, no extra work necessary.

OP
timswim78
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss said:
Music, Movies/videos and pictures. They all reside on one of 3 mirrored RAID arrays, so the backup is built in, no extra work necessary.

Sounds good. I have a RAID set up myself, but I like to use the external hard drive and keep it away from my home in case of theft, fire, power surge, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, theft or fire are always a possibility anywhere, and I don't go as far as keeping a copy in a different physical location, nothing I have is all that important. Power surge is easy, everything is run through surge protectors, and the Mac and the external 4 bay RAID enclosure are on separate UPSs to avoid sudden power outages etc.

OP
timswim78
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss said:
Well, theft or fire are always a possibility anywhere, and I don't go as far as keeping a copy in a different physical location, nothing I have is all that important. Power surge is easy, everything is run through surge protectors, and the Mac and the external 4 bay RAID enclosure are on separate UPSs to avoid sudden power outages etc.

Sounds like a nice setup. What type of drives and external enclosure are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All Maxtor Drives. The external enclosure is by CoolDrives, FW 400, each drive bay has 2 fans cooling it (one in front, one in back of the tray) and two big fans in the back. The thing never gets hot. The external enclosure has 2 2 disk RAID arrays in it, one 200Gb array and one 250Gb array. The third array is internal in my G4 and is two 80Gb drives. All are Mirrored.

I'm going to upgrade the whole thing to a CoolDrives 8 Bay external, and upgrade all of the disks to 400Gb within the next 6 months or so.

Reaction score
baggss said:
All Maxtor Drives. The external enclosure is by CoolDrives, FW 400, each drive bay has 2 fans cooling it (one in front, one in back of the tray) and two big fans in the back. The thing never gets hot. The external enclosure has 2 2 disk RAID arrays in it, one 200Gb array and one 250Gb array. The third array is internal in my G4 and is two 80Gb drives. All are Mirrored.

I'm going to upgrade the whole thing to a CoolDrives 8 Bay external, and upgrade all of the disks to 400Gb within the next 6 months or so.
sweet...!

OP
timswim78
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss said:

I had never heard of cooldrives, so I looked them up. It looks like they have some good external hdd solutions. I'm guessing that you are pretty happy with them if you plan on upgrading to the 8 bay model.

Here is a link to their site for anyone who may be interested.
http://www.cooldrives.com/firen.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been very happy with them so far. The only problems I have are with my Mac itself. I'm running an old Sawtooth, pretty much upgraded to the max. The old onboard FW bus gets funky every once in a while and burps on me causing the 2 RAID arrays to unmount themselves. When this happens I not only have to reboot the Mac, but the External drive too. It can get a bit tricky if I don't do it in just the right order. The other onboard FW has 3 CDRW/DVDRW drives daisy chained together. I have a USB2/FW card in a PCI slot that is driving 3 iPods (2 FW, 1 USB 2) and the fourth iPod is Daisy chained off the external drive bay.

All in all, this sometimes overwhelms my long in the tooth Mac and it starts dropping things off line, iPods, CDRW/DVDRW or RAID arrays. Ya never know how it's going to get weirded out next. Only upside it it doesn't happen often, once every couple of months. I chalk all this up to the fact that at one point I had 6 drives inside the silly thing and the temperature often reached, or exceeded, 140 degrees inside the case. That couldn't have been good for the board.

The 8 bay drive will come after I get a new Mac. Planning on picking up a Quad core G5 before the PowerMacs go Intel and get a lame name change. That could be as soon as 2 months or as much as 6 depending on finances.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
got the 80 gig right next to me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
Since I have a bunch of stuff for school on my PB, I have a 200GB external drive just for backups. I have folders/files that change back-uped daily, and then I have all of the files back-uped once a month, and I mean everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I always do a full backup of my drive every week to an external LaCie drive. I also sync with .Mac which of course preserves alot of mail, bookmark, address book, etc settings. All my photos are also at Flickr for archiving.

Reaction score
what lacie drives are you using?

i do all my back up on a 250gb triple interface.. luv this thing..
also got a lacie 16x dvdrw-/+ dl, firewire, usb 2.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
right now i'm just backing up my music and a few important docs. might consider doing a full backup in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Got a 320 gig from a company named Acom Data. Ya, ya, I know, never buy cheap hard drives, but eh, most of my stuff is on DVD's as well.

OP
timswim78
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are looking for a good backup solution, then you may like this. It is a 200GB external firewire/usb harddrive from Seagate. Right now outpost.com has it for $169.99 - $40 rebate = $129.99.

Seagate is my favorite hdd manufacturer, and outpost.com has been a reliable store for me.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4015532?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
USB 2, FW 400, FW 800?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.