Remote Desktop Connection Via Mac

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am not sure if this is in the right category? But here is my issue:

I have got a PC and Mac Laptop. I have moved so I no longer have Optus or the Netgear.

I currently have Telstra, with their TG587 modem/router.

Optus helped me set up their router so it can accept the remote desktop connection. But I rang Telstra few times, had a chat online, but they were not great help. Instead they suggested I should use TeamViewer.

I am using 'Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac' (Version 2.1.1).

Every time I try to connect from my MAC to the IP shown in Google in my PC, it says it can't connect.

So I think there is a set up I need to do in the router before the connection can be successful.

Any ideas, comments and help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in Advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Every time I try to connect from my MAC to the IP shown in Google in my PC, it says it can't connect.

So I think there is a set up I need to do in the router before the connection can be successful.

If your PC is behind a router, then you need the IP address of the router (also called the WAN IP address, which is distinct from its LAN IP address) not the PC. It may also be best to forward the port used by Remote Desktop from the router to the PC directly, but may not be strictly necessary.

OP
R
Reaction score
hi lifeisabeach

Thanks for your reply.

My PC is behind a router, I have the router IP address, in my cmd>ipconfig it shows as IPv4, if this is not the right one, how can I get the WAN IP address?

How can I forward the port? Is that the setting I need to do in router?

thanks for your advice, help and any other help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Also, by default Microsoft RDC uses port 3389. You may need open this port on your router firewall.

You'll need to grab your router manual for details of how or post a link here and we'll try and guide you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.