Mountain Lion: Software Issues

Reaction score
I have used Macs for years without problems, until last week. I decided to update my OS from Snow Leopard (Mid 2010 MacBook Pro) to Mountain Lion. I made sure Snow Leopard was up to date and purchased Mountain Lion from the App Store.

Everything seemed fine until I tried to use CS5, in particular Illustrator and InDesign (the main programs I use!). They will not launch, they are constantly 'not responding' in the 'Force Quit' window.

I then decided to uninstall the whole of CS5 and install CS6, which I have exactly the same problem, Illustrator and InDesign will not launch but Photoshop will!

Fed up with this I backed-up and erased my hard-drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard according to Apples instructions. I then tried to install CS5, and the same problem occurred: Illustrator and InDesign will not launch. I then tried to install CS6, and again Illustrator and InDesign will not launch.

I need help with this issue fast as CS in my main tool and my Mac is useless without them! :'(

C

chas_m

Adobe software ALWAYS requires re-installation and re-verification when the OS has been changed. As you've already discovered, the problem has nothing at all to do with Mountain Lion so I find it odd that you've titled your post the way you did.

At any rate, are these the original DVDs from Adobe? If not, there's your problem.

I can verify that CS5 and CS6 (and even CS3 for that matter) run normally under Lion and Mountain Lion here.

OP
D
Reaction score
Apologies for the title of the post, im new to these forums, having never had any issues with my Macs in the past.

I have re-installed and re-verified after the OS was updated (and then reverted) and the problem still exists!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Check the bottom of this thread - have found multiple threads indicating that is the fix.

OP
D
Reaction score
I've 'repaired permissions' as suggested and it has done nothing. Im not sure if this was a suggestion for OS Mountain Lion or Snow Leopard, but i've done it on my re-installed (from the DVD's which came with the Mac) and it hasn't helped!

Any further offerings?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are your Adobe install DVD's factory?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi dtravis7, they certainly are, they are the ones that came with the MacBook Pro. Everything else seems to be working correctly (various web browsers / Font Explorer X Pro / CS5 Photoshop / CS6 Photoshop) its just Illustrator and InDesign (CS5 & CS6 both legitimate, purchased) that im having trouble with!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Will do some searching and see what I can find. Will get back to you if I find a solution.

Reason I asked about the DVD's is a fresh install on a new OS should work fine. Not sure what is up.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, much appreciated, one quick question: on the disk utility do I Verifiy / Repair Disk Permissions or Verifiy / Repair Disk? (if I do the later will this affect any other installed software?)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To fix permissions you run Repair Disk Permissions. It will hurt nothing with your other software.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi dtravis7, after a lot of messing about, including 'fix permissions', re-installing, deleting plug-ins, changing Java Preferences etc, etc. I created a new user account and everything seems to be working as it was before! (I'm Still running Snow-Leopard, as I don't dare upgrade to Mountain Lion again!).

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Dear dtravis7,
You are running CS6 on Mountain Lion, right? I'm looking at purchasing Adobe Audition for my late 2012 iMac running 10.8.2. That is part of CS6, correct? It only advertises compatibility up to Lion, so I'm skittish. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.