Firefox vs. Safari vs. Opera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro; 8GB RAM; 256GB SSD; 27" Thunderbolt Display
First off, I hate "vs." topics, and I'm not looking to start a fanboy flame war, but as a n00b mac owner, I'm pretty unfamiliar with Safari; I know it can do all of the same big-scale features firefox and opera can do, but of the three, which do you guy & gals prefer, and why?

I've always been an Opera fan on my old Windows box, but I installed Firefox on my mac and I think it's decent. I haven't played around much with Safari, or Opera yet, but I'm interested in being convinced that I should (or shouldn't)

Thanks!

J

jy106

I preffer safari because of the way it blends in with the theme of OSX. Shame about copy and paste though :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
I prefer firefox because:
- It looks very similar in the Windows, Linux, and Mac flavors
- It's googlebar is the stuff (the version from google with the advanced features)

Reaction score
I use both, like them both about the same. On my PB FF gets there faster but Safari loads the page faster.. This might be because of adblock. They both do everything asked but FF does have all those extensions.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I love Safari for most of my browsing. For the few sites it has problems with I either use Firefox or Opera. I too am a long time Opera user on the PC. I would suggest try them all and see which one feels best to you. I just like the way Safari works overall, but the others are nice also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
I use firefox, its just easier and i love to use the extensions they offer. The only upside to safari is that it is built in to OS X more than any other browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Well, FireFox has the same major features as most others, however it also has endless customazation, and a built-in WMV plug-in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Why not make this a Safari vs FF vs Opera vs iCab vs OmniWeb vs Shiira vs Netscape thread instead?

They're all good browsers, with the possible exception of Netscape.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Im a firefox fan so thats what id recommend

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro; 8GB RAM; 256GB SSD; 27" Thunderbolt Display
I think I'll stick with Firefox for now. Someday when I'm not swamped, I'll toss in Opera and see how it works with my new Mac. It was my browser of choice when I was on my PC, so I have to give it at least a try.

Thanks for all your opinions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel iMac 20" monitor, OS X 10.4
I prefer to use opera for OS X and windows, because I like the UI :Cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.