mac can't write to networked external drive it created BUT can if drive is plugged in

Reaction score
When the external drive is connected via USB it CAN read and write but when that same drive is networked it can only read. When I click on info (when the drive is connected via usb) on the drive all permissions are granted to allow the drive to be accessed writing and reading. My macbookpro even formatted the drive so why the heck can't it write to it when it is networked? I installed NTFS 3g hoping that this would help the problem but the permission problem remains. I have two partitions on the drive, a Mac OS extended and a FAT32. The FAT32 can be written to by the mac. It's the Mac OS extended partition giving me the permission error (go figure :\) SO the windows fat32 is readable and writeable by the mac but the mac format it can't. I am using a netgear readyshare router to do all this. I also CHMOD 777 the folder in terminal. I am using Mountain Lion. I have tried to make this folder accessible in soooo many ways reading tips out there. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd suggest this issue isn't the Mac or the Hard Disk but the router that's at fault. I suspect the issue occurs because the router can't read from the disk.

Most router USB based solutions only support FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2 and EXT3

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue. Using macOS Monterey + router Netgear Nighthawk R7800 + connected usb drive formatted as Mac OS extended. I formatted it on my mac and I can read/write while it's connected via usb but can only read while connected either via smb or afp.
My readyshare settings on the router are all set to All - no password.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A very warm welcome to our Forums. In thanking you for your post, I should point out that you have tacked on to an 8 year old thread.

It might be wiser to start a new thread with your Mac model, year, operating system and spell out your problem:)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.