iTunes with multiple devices

Reaction score
Hello, I have just converted to mac from a PC, having just bought a new iMac. My husband and I both have iPhones and our own iPads. I connected my iPad and synced with the iMac and then plugged in my husbands iPad. I think I stupidly did the wrong thing when it asked if it was a new iPad, I cannot remember exactly what I did but it ended up syncing my husbands iPad so that it was identical to mine. Eg we have same apps but different levels reached in games etc so he lost all of his stuff and had it replaced with my data. He wasn't too happy. Anyway, I don't really understand the syncing and am very new to it all. My question really is how to go about syncing my devices and his devices separately but using the one computer. We use the same apple ID. I understand therefore that any app I purchase will appear on his devices and vice versa, that is fine but can we keep the info/data from these apps separate? Also things like the way we arrange the apps, background picture etc. Do I need to set up a separate iTunes library?

C

chas_m

By default, Apple will treat separate iDevices as separate devices, you need do nothing special. I have an iPhone, an iPad and my wife's iPod shuffle all syncing to this Mac, each one has ENTIRELY different content on it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sync multiple devices his/her devices here from the same computer also - and use the same Apple ID on all of them.

Only way I can think of for them to end up identical would have been if you used the restore from backup on his iPad and used your iPad backup.

Each device should have a separate name - best thing I've found to do - each of you do your own syncs - your yours, him his - that way you each will be able to "look" at the music, videos, apps that you have installed on each of your devices.

Has made it easier for us by using the manually manage music, etc. option so that we can each pick what we want instead of it just syncing everything. It makes the first sync more time consuming, but after that not so bad since you're really just doing a backup and making incremental changes.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hello, thank you for advice. I think that I must have 'restored' my husbands iPad by syncing with mine hence he got all of my stuff. I am pleased to note that this shouldn't happen again though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
By default, Apple will treat separate iDevices as separate devices, you need do nothing special. I have an iPhone, an iPad and my wife's iPod shuffle all syncing to this Mac, each one has ENTIRELY different content on it.

Didn't work for me. Plugged in my wife's work iPad intending to extract some photos from it and it assumed it was my iPad and commenced syncing. Luckily I managed to stop it before too much damage was done and recovered status quo after reading this from Apple...

How to use multiple iPhone, iPad, or iPod devices with one computer

Specifically "Create a separate iTunes library for each device. Note: It is important that you make a new iTunes library file."

Now I just have to remember to Press Alt key to switch iTunes libraries to ensure correct itunes library is used.

Apple defaults seems to assume (a) that each user has one device of each type (b) that devices such as iPads are not shared and (c) that one wants all ones devices synced to match each other. An area they need to give clearer preference instructions to perhaps?

C

chas_m

Much as I hate to disagree with Apple, my experience over many years is a pretty strong record that this article is inaccurate (or at least your interpretation of it). As long as the devices have *different names,* they are treated as different devices. If they have the SAME name, then you could see the kind of problems you related.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I can see how having different iTunes libraries if using the same user account for syncing could definitely benefit a great many users in keeping their own choice of music, apps, etc. synced and less knowledge required by and fewer possible problems for the user related to syncing multiple devices - no as much need to read & understand everything that's happening at each step, no need to "look" at all the tabs each time when syncing and making sure they're all set the way each individual wants their device set up.

My wife does not sync her iPhone - I do.
If she ever decided she wanted to do it, the separate library would be the "only" way to get it done and not hear about/have to fix some problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.