Hard Drive Full - Won't Boot - Need to Delete Files

Reaction score
I have a 2008 MacBook

I had gotten a warning that the startup disk was near full. I ignored it and let Transmission continue to download torrents.

Later, my mac was frozen and upon restarting, it froze on the startup window - just the apple logo and the constantly spinning wheel forever.

Safe mode didn't work. I went into Single User Mode.

I have tons of avi files that had been backed up so I would like to just delete them all to free up space.

How do I do this? I am a complete novice so need step by step instructions.

I located all avis by typing find -name *.avi*

Now I just want to delete all avis - there must be a way using XXXXX *.avi*

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I had gotten a warning that the startup disk was near full. I ignored it and let Transmission continue to download torrents.

Enough said!! This is like a sign saying "Don't stick hand in fire, will cause burns!"...and then the person sticks their hand in the fire anyway!!!:(

Boot your computer from another source (external HD with an OS on it...or a bootable DVD)...then delete enough items from the computers internal HD to get the computer to boot.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
You would think that a computer would not allow all usable space to be eaten up - effectively killing itself - to the point it cant be restarted.

So do you mean -
hook up a firewire between me and another laptop
start in target mode
delete files via other laptop

that easy?? i saw this as a solution option in my recent search

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You would think that a computer would not allow all usable space to be eaten up - effectively killing itself - to the point it cant be restarted.

That's why you were given the warning. Ignoring it lead to the situation you're in at the moment (full startup disk)!;)

So do you mean -
hook up a firewire between me and another laptop
start in target mode
delete files via other laptop

This could be a 3rd option in addition to the two I listed above.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.