iPad "Not Charging"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Late 2008 12GB Ram i7 500GB OS 1TB Files, MacBook Air 2012, iPad 2/Mini, iPhone 2G
Hello everyone, i'm new on this Forum and maybe in the wrong section! I'm sorry if it is so!!
So my Problem is, i have an iPad 2 and if i hook it up to my MacPro (Late 2008) it says "Not Charging" but i can transfer Music and so... (Yes, i hook it up on the back USB Ports not on the Keyboard!) but when i hook it up to my Mac Mini, iMac or MacBook Air, with the exact same cable... it is charging! So what's the Problem with my MacPro? Any Solutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I suspect it's not pushing enough power to the USB ports.

If you go to About This Mac and System profiler/details. Click on USB. It will tell you the mA power that the port has available. Do this on all your Macs and compare.

Older Macs didn't have enough power output over USB. Even newer ones will only run one of the ports (the first one you connect a high drain device to but it can be any of them) at a high enough output to charge an iPad.

I suspect that's what you're witnessing but check the output values to see for sure

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Late 2008 12GB Ram i7 500GB OS 1TB Files, MacBook Air 2012, iPad 2/Mini, iPhone 2G
Thanks, so i checked the Power on the Ports and on all my Mac's it says 500mA buut i think, on the MacPro it says 300mA are being used (USB Keyboard i think is the reason for that...) on the MacMini which i use with Bluetooth Keyboard and Trackpad there is 0mA used, same for the MacBook, there are no USB devices connected so 0mA used...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
300mA is the older current spec for USB - so some portable hard drives, etc won't run off of that USB port either. (That is why there are USB cables that hook up to multiple USB ports for some of those portable hard drives) That port will charge your iPad - it will just do it very slowly - and you cannot have it on/be using it. That is why it says not charging - when the screen is on. If you have the screen off it will charge it.

If you want to charge the iPad quickly - it is always best to use the 10 Watt charger that comes with the iPad. That will provide 2.1A of current to the iPad vs 0.5A of most USB ports.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! Regullary at home i charge my iPad with the wall Charger, but in my Office there is just the MacPro and i have no free Power-Ports so the only way to charge my iPad at work is this MacPro which doesn't charges it :\ but i think i will find a Solution to get a free electricity port somehow :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.