how to drop files on the desktop after hiding icons

Reaction score
hello
os x mountain lion here
i`ve successfully hid desktop icons by using the usual guideline (online tutorials) via terminal
but now i cant drag files onto my desktop via external drive, they will drag but not drop on the desktop, so the only way i can make those files appear from external onto my mac is to directly drop them in Finder > Desktop
is it possible to enable drop and drag of certain files on the desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Not sure what you did in the terminal - but generally - if you shut off icons on the desktop then it is probably not acting as a finder folder anymore. Usually terminal settings are an all or nothing proposition but I'd have to see what you put in to tell you for sure.

My guess - is no - you either have to disable what you did so you can re-enable drag and drop to the desktop - or give up dragging to the desktop - and do it the way you were doing it -> open finder -> desktop and drag there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So you customized your Desktop to use it in a non-standard way, and now you want it to work the standard way, but only when you want it to. Did I get that right? If so, the solution should be obvious.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Go back and reverse whatever it was you did in terminal so all those icons reappear.

Then open Finder - General tab - and uncheck whatever you don't want to be seen on the desktop.

You'll then be able to drag and drop onto the desktop.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for your inputs
i did uncheck from the finder, disks and they disappeared
cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.