• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Thunderbolt Display shortage could point to impending refresh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My bet would be a really thin monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I was hemming and hawing on whether to get the current 27" - or wait for a refresh. Some things to think about - I think osxx is right - it will be thin. The article didn't mention USB 3.0 but I think that is a given. As the article says - I would expect them to ditch firewire. I know it is on its way out but I have several firewire drives. This is one of the reasons I chose to get the current model. Since there is a second thunderbolt - I figured I could get one of the thunderbolt hubs that had USB 3.0 to augment the current display if needed. That being said - the Belkin dock - also has firewire so even if Apple ditches that port you could still get a dock that has firewire available.

I don't think it'll be ready - but since there is all this talk of 4k resolution and oled - it'd be interesting to see where the resolution of the monitor will end up. (My gut says it will be the same 2560x1440 - but Apple has been ahead of the resolution curve for a while)
OLED and 4K at CES 2013: The fantasy and the reality (video) | PCWorld
or if they go back to multiple resolutions a la the 24" and 30" days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It makes me wonder what resolution they will pick since the retina MBP 15inch has 2880 x 1800 and the retina iPad 4 has 2048 x 1536 but the new iMac is 2560 x 1440.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I too am waiting for the new 27" and also expect the built in hub to be USB 3.0. Unlike Ivan, I currently have no use for firewire but would like to see several extra Thunderbolt ports. As for resolution, unless they decide on a Retina option (big $$), I would expect it to be the around the same, perhaps with built in scaling. (which would be nice)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.