RAM upgrade to early 2008 iMac keeps failing

Reaction score
Greetings, I have tried with three different shipments of RAM to upgrade the original RAM in my early 2008 build 20" iMac. I'm running OS 10.8.2 & currently have the 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM installed (1 GB per slot) that came installed on the machine. If it helps, my processor is 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

I reviewed this article to help me buy RAM: <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1759> & followed the specifications there. I'm just trying to double the RAM to 4 GB. The first batch I picked from Amazon didn't work. The second & third batches that I got from MacMall after giving all my computer information to the salesman, including my computer's serial number, etc., don't work. By "don't work" I mean that when I install the new RAM & turn the computer on, the screen stays dark & the machine beeps at me once every 3-4 seconds. When I reinstall the original RAM, everything is back to normal with my computer.

Each set of the most recent set of RAM I tried to install is Axiom 2GB DDR PC2-6400 SODIMM.

Any suggestions or solutions to this problem or do I just need to take it into a professional?

Many thanks for any information you can provide.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
By "don't work" I mean that when I install the new RAM & turn the computer on, the screen stays dark & the machine beeps at me once every 3-4 seconds. When I reinstall the original RAM, everything is back to normal with my computer.

Those "beeps" mean it's the wrong or defective ram. I would suggest getting ram from one of these folks:

- OWC
- Crucial

Both sites have well organized ways to identify the ram you need to insure you get the correct ram.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your machine memory specifics are:

Maximum Memory 6.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 2 - 200-pin PC2-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

Each set of the most recent set of RAM I tried to install is Axiom 2GB DDR PC2-6400 SODIMM.

It appears you purchased the correct memory type but since I know nothing at all about Axiom memory, I have no idea it it's suitable for using in a Mac.

We usually recommend buying memory from either Crucial or Other World Computing. Both are reliable sellers of memory modules for the Mac. The other thing to consider is the way you're installing the memory. I'm assuming that you're installing it correctly - that is making sure the new modules are firmly seated.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks chscag. I figure I must be installing the new stuff correctly if I use the same method to reinstall the old stuff & the old stuff works fine.

The Axiom memory I tried to install yesterday says "series for Mac." But several of the responses to my query seem to indicate that maybe the brand of the RAM might make a big difference, so when I feel like I can face the possibility of failing again, I will try OWC or Crucial. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm running 10.8.2. Could that have any effect on whether or not the RAM would work? I'm asking because MacMall has verified that this memory is compatible with my computer. The first batch was determined to be defective, but with the same outcome from the second batch they sent (both Axiom), I'm just wondering if there's not some larger problem.

Or can RAM modules simply be defective that often?

Thanks again!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't doubt for a moment that MacMall knows which memory your Mac uses, however, that particular brand of memory is unknown to me. I just can't be sure if it works in your Mac. I do know from experience (as well as others here) that memory purchased from Crucial or OWC does work. One thing I would like to point out is that Macs are more "fussy" about which memory to use than other computers that I have had experience working on.

And since the first batch of Axiom memory they sent was bad, who's to say the second batch isn't likewise bad?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.