My new MBP keeps lagging and freezing

Reaction score
Hello, AbhiKap here

I have a new mAcbook pro 13 inch 2.5 ghz intel core i5 4gb ram

I just got this laptop about 3 months ago

It was all fine before but now since today morning, it keeps lagging severely and freezing every 10 or so minutes of using it. Once, it froze using safari and once playing minecraft and then I have to turn it off by pressing the power button and rebooting it

I didn't install anything on it recently and it just started happening for no reason

What is wrong and how can I fix this?
Thanks, help is greatly appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since the machine is only 3 months old, it's still under Apple's warranty. Slowness and freezing could be an indication of a bad hard drive or something else. It's best to take it to Apple and let them diagnose what's wrong. If the hard drive is bad, they'll change it for a new one. Make sure you start making backups of your data right now. Do not wait or you may lose data. Use the built in Time Machine application.

OP
A
Reaction score
Since the machine is only 3 months old, it's still under Apple's warranty. Slowness and freezing could be an indication of a bad hard drive or something else. It's best to take it to Apple and let them diagnose what's wrong. If the hard drive is bad, they'll change it for a new one. Make sure you start making backups of your data right now. Do not wait or you may lose data. Use the built in Time Machine application.

Yes but I live out of the US so I do not know if the computer will be under warranty?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes but I live out of the US so I do not know if the computer will be under warranty?

All Apple computers come with the 12 month Applecare warranty automatically. So the difficultly is not whether your computer is under warranty...it would be how to get your computer serviced.

Other countries have physical Apple Stores (but not all countries)...but that doesn't mean that one will be close enough to you to get there. Otherwise...you need to find out what your service/warranty options are.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score

All Apple computers come with the 12 month Applecare warranty automatically. So the difficultly is not whether your computer is under warranty...it would be how to get your computer serviced.

Other countries have physical Apple Stores (but not all countries)...but that doesn't mean that one will be close enough to you to get there. Otherwise...you need to find out what your service/warranty options are.

- Nick

Yes, where I live, in brazil, there are apple stores (premium resellers) in fact, there is one very close to my house. I could take my Mac there I just don't know if they will accept the warranty since the computer was bought in the US and I also don't know how much will they charge. Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, where I live, in brazil, there are apple stores (premium resellers) in fact, there is one very close to my house. I could take my Mac there I just don't know if they will accept the warranty since the computer was bought in the US and I also don't know how much will they charge. Any ideas?

Usually the Applecare warranty is recognised regardless of what country it was purchased in...especially if you are actually going to a "real" Apple Store. Is this a "real" Apple Store...or a computer store that sells/repairs Apple computers? The only way to be 100% sure they will accept the Applecare warranty...is take your iMac to your local Apple Store...and find out.:)

If your local Apple Store (premium store) accepts the Applecare warranty (which they should)...and if the issue with the iMac is a manufacturing defect (hopefully it is)...then the charge will be zero!:) If for some reason they do not acept the Applecare warranty...definitely find out how much they want to charge you BEFORE they do any work!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And an 0800 number is available for Brazil:-

Apple

OP
A
Reaction score
Usually the Applecare warranty is recognised regardless of what country it was purchased in...especially if you are actually going to a "real" Apple Store. Is this a "real" Apple Store...or a computer store that sells/repairs Apple computers? The only way to be 100% sure they will accept the Applecare warranty...is take your iMac to your local Apple Store...and find out.:)

If your local Apple Store (premium store) accepts the Applecare warranty (which they should)...and if the issue with the iMac is a manufacturing defect (hopefully it is)...then the charge will be zero!:) If for some reason they do not acept the Applecare warranty...definitely find out how much they want to charge you BEFORE they do any work!

- Nick

Yes, I wil definitely do that soon. Also, just to clarify, it's a MacBook pro not an iMac :D

Thanks anyway

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I wil definitely do that soon. Also, just to clarify, it's a MacBook pro not an iMac :D

Sorry...I got confused. Same advice applies.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
0800-MY-APPLE = 0800-692-7753. That's how it transposes to the telephone number. I'm assuming that would be correct in Brazil?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you bothered to look at the link I provided, you will see the number in Brazil is 008-761-08671.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The link is for the Apple on line store in Brazil and the number given on the web site is 0800-761-0867. I'm assuming he's trying to reach customer service in Brazil not the online store. (In the US their number is 1-800-MY-APPLE.) Probably similar in Brazil.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.