2009 MBP had a quick puff of smoke... now won't power up.

Reaction score
My friends MBP just died and we're in need of some help or info on the extent of the damage.

He's had the MBP (09) for a few years, no trouble. After several hours of use, he saw a "little puff of smoke" come out the back" then it shut off.

It was plugged in at the time, but not for the entire time he was using it.

Here's what I found so far...
1. The power adapter looks like a knock-off, (from "macbookadapter.com"). Probably not good, but it worked for a few years with it.

2. I opened it up and don't see any burns or residue, at least not on the visible side. Didn't go any further for fear of making it worse.

3. I plugged the adapter from my MBP into it, and get a green light the whole time. It wasn't fully charged when it died.

So, after all that. Does anyone have any insight of the problem, and the extent of the damage?? Needless to say we're a bit freaked out right now. Thanks all.

Reaction score
More than likely the logic board is gonna need replaced. Sorry to say but when a computer spits out smoke ( even a little ) it is a bad thing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with member dawson. More than likely the knock off power adapter shorted out and fried the power supply on the logic board. A new logic board is needed. And, probably is not worth it as the cost will likely exceed what the machine is worth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.