Magic Mouse issue

Reaction score
I just bought a new Magic Mouse and was really looking forward to the feature that allows me to zoom in/out of images by pinching, like on the Track Pad. Unfortunately it does not work, and there is no option for it in my controls. I am using Snow Leopard and figure this has something to do with it, but I don't want to download Lion. So, two questions:

1) Is this because of Snow Leopard?

2) Is there a way to get this feature without downloading Lion?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have you double checked the Magic Mouse's control panel within System Preferences? There may be some settings there that need to be setup/modified.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
Just installed the magic mouse on my wife's snow leopard vintage iMac. In reading the directions for the Magic Mouse, the only gestures that are supported are: One button click, Two-button click, scroll left, right, up, down, Screen zoom (use control key and scroll up, down gesture) and Two-finger swipe. The "Pinch" gesture is not supported or mentioned in any documentation that I have for the Magic Mouse. While I have not tested it on my ML system, I don't think it is OS dependent for the "pinch" gesture.

Here is the Apple link for the Magic Mouse: http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

Bill

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
According to this review:

Apple Magic Mouse Review - Is There Magic in Apple’s Magic Mouse?

...you can "zoom" with the Magic Mouse...but it's not the "pinch" gesture.

"Zooming is enabled by using a modifier key, usually the control key, while performing a vertical scroll gesture. If you hold the modifier key down, the window will zoom in or out, depending on the direction of your scroll."

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.