Simple Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
So, I've owned my Mac for 30 months and I've never had a use for .zip files, therefore until recently I have not encountered the problem that I currently have. For my Android App Dev Course I'm taking in college we are given applications to download into AppInventor (developed by MIT). Downloading them is not the problem, it's uploading them. When I click on the .zip file to upload and I hit "open" it actually opens up the .zip file, so I can't upload anything because it is constantly opening up the subfolders of the .zip file. It happens any other time I try to upload a .zip file onto something online etc. I have had to resort to accessing my programs via the cloud on a PC and uploading the files that way - or I don't receive credit for my homework. How can I correct this so I can use MY computer for MY homework? I'm really frustrated by this.

C

chas_m

When I click on the .zip file to upload and I hit "open" it actually opens up the .zip file

Well of course it does, what did you think would happen?

Why are you clicking "open" when you don't want it to open the ZIP file?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the option, the only option given. It won't let me upload the actual file. On PC's, the "open" button allows it to be selected. It's not the same for my mac. How else can I get it to upload? The only option, literally, is open when it comes to selecting my files to upload. That, or cancel. If I open the .zip file into it's components then I can't upload the whole file which negates the reason of uploading it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I want to clarify a few things. First, it would seem that you're trying to upload content and when you hit open in the file browser (presumably when you click an upload button), the actual file opens instead? If so, have you tried a different browser?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Vansmith, you are correct. It does this in safari - I haven't tried another browser. I can try chrome, maybe it will work then.

I have also noticed that while I can download .zip folders, I can't figure out how to open it as a collective folder - it just reveals all of the components again which is very unhelpful. I have iZip on my Mac but opening via iZip does me no good.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try Chrome (or Firefox or Opera) and see if you see similar behaviour. If not, then we can work with Safari.

I don't understand your second part. What exactly is it that is happening. By default, Archive Utility (built-in functionality) decompresses and reveals the contents in Finder.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ignore the second question, I figured it out. I just tried Chrome and the exact same problem is occurring.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure why you have to select "open" to highlight or choose the file to upload? Have you tried a command click or right click instead? The last time I uploaded files with Chrome that's how I did it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I mislabeled the uploading option. It actually says "choose". I apologize for any confusion. I have some screenshots here of what I do - and a description of what happens.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68974782@N06/8390628726/in/photostream

- This is the layout used to upload files and images. It's called "Moodle". Notice there is a "drag and drop here". I tried from my desktop and it said there was some sort of error. So that doesn't work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68974782@N06/8389542781/in/photostream

- This is the "File Picker". It allows you to upload to the website.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68974782@N06/8390628532/in/photostream

-This is me using File Picker to upload the .zip. The second it's highlighted the only option is to "choose". It then opens up to the subfolders of the .zip. If I "Control & Click, the only option is "quick look". Is it possible that the moodle website is PC friendly and simply doesn't want to cooperate with my mac?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Okay I don't see any zip files there?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are no ZIP files there because when I hit the button to "choose" button it just opens the ZIP into it's smaller components - which is what I do NOT want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.