Mac Mini weird restart from sleep/screen sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
Hello everyone,

I have a 2012 Mac Mini that I've only had for 3 weeks. I've installed Crucial 16GB RAM and everything has been perfect. Starting about 1 day ago I noticed it doing this weird restart from waking from sleep. Usually at night I either put the computer to sleep via the Apple menu or I just put the displays to sleep by dragging my mouse into the bottom right corner (hot corners). When I wake up, I come downstairs and press the mouse/keyboard to wake it up and it wakes right up.

As of last night when I do the same thing it shows the white screen with the Apple logo like it does when you restart or shutdown. It takes a 2-3 mins to start up and acts like it would after restarting (status bar populates, apps open,). Chrome open with a message saying it was shutdown properly and asks if I want to restore my tabs.

I took a look at the logs but to be honest I have not a clue what I'm looking at. Only thing that stood out was a line reading "Goodnight Gracie....."

I appreciate any help.

photo.jpg

Reaction score
I see this happen on some macs when they are put to sleep with a browser open or a lot programs left running.

Perform some experiments by putting the unit to sleep leaving the browser open with several tabs and other programs running , see what results you get then put it to sleep with a clean slate ie nothing left open , no browsers no programs or documents. I think youll find that when a lot of things are left open it will go to the apple load up screen as it restores tabs , programs , documents and other data.

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
I see this happen on some macs when they are put to sleep with a browser open or a lot programs left running.

Perform some experiments by putting the unit to sleep leaving the browser open with several tabs and other programs running , see what results you get then put it to sleep with a clean slate ie nothing left open , no browsers no programs or documents. I think youll find that when a lot of things are left open it will go to the apple load up screen as it restores tabs , programs , documents and other data.

I usually just leave pocket and reeder open. I actually closed everything this morning and it still did it. Someone on another forum recommended resetting the PRAM and run disk utility.

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
It was the Crucial RAM. Installed the factory 4GB and everything is fine. Crucial is sending me a new 16GB setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012 2.5ghz i5 osx 10.9.5 500gb 16gb ram and iMac 27" mid 2010 i7 2.93Ghz OS X 10.10.1
Hi
I have the same problem: after installing 16gb of Crucial RAM the mac mini sleep function faults. It doesn't properly enter sleep mode (white light stays on and does not pulse) and it re-boots when clicking the tablet.

Has installing new RAM cured the problem and how did Crucial respond to the problem please so i can be sure to get a fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Folks are you actually quitting the programs or just closing the windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012 2.5ghz i5 osx 10.9.5 500gb 16gb ram and iMac 27" mid 2010 i7 2.93Ghz OS X 10.10.1
Update

I have just re-installed the factory 4gb of Ram and the problem has immediately resolved itself just as it did for Gary86.
I have read around and there is some evidence that the 8gb Crucial's RAM is not fully Apple compliant despite their claims that it is.

I am getting a refund and will probably try Kingston instead unless anyone can recommend a best supplier option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update

I have just re-installed the factory 4gb of Ram and the problem has immediately resolved itself just as it did for Gary86.
I have read around and there is some evidence that the 8gb Crucial's RAM is not fully Apple compliant despite their claims that it is.

I am getting a refund and will probably try Kingston instead unless anyone can recommend a best supplier option?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.