• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Slashes iPhone 5 Part Orders Due to Weak Demand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Apple Slashes iPhone 5 Part Orders Due to Weak Demand - MacRumors Forums

I'm not that surprised. The iPhone needs a change. The jump from the 3G/3GS to the 4/4S was a great jump, but not so from the 4/4S to the 5. Just as I've experienced, I'm sure there are a lot of people either trying another phone, or waiting it out till the 5S/6. Actually, the only people I know who have upgraded to the 5 were 3G/3GS users. No one I know with the 4/4S upgraded to it. My timing just happened to be perfect to test out another phone while also falling within the 5S/6 timing if need be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Yeah, if they had made the screen size dimensions similar to the Samsung S3, I would have jumped on the iPhone 5, but I really didn't like the new screen design at all (I usually use the phone in portrait, so continuing the narrow feel while trying to read an email didn't thrill me). I moved to an S3 when my contract was up (I really wanted 4G since I am frequently in 4G territory). If Apple comes out with a phone with a screen with better dimensions, I'll switch back. It really was the screen that killed it for me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I wonder if part of the problem was they could not fill the orders when first announced and people just cancelled and ordered another brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I don't know - I don't *think* that was the problem, but I could be wrong. I only say this because in the past when a new iPhone came out, many who ordered had to wait to get their order filled and they didn't cancel in the past.

Now of course, it could be that people pre-ordered, while waiting saw what the phone was like and canceled...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The reason I said that was because I am on the AT&T forum and there were a lot of disgruntled people having to wait almost a month to get their phone.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The reason I said that was because I am on the AT&T forum and there were a lot of disgruntled people having to wait almost a month to get their phone.
Not quite as bad as the Nexus 4 which is about as close as you can get to vapourware without actually being vapourware. ;)

One of the benefits of the licensing model (think Android or Windows) is the competition that it fosters amongst licensees. In the Android market, you've got Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony and others competing for the best phone (even though Samsung pretty much dominates). In this case, phone makers have to work harder for your dollar. Compare this to the vertical model (think Apple) where the developers have a monopoly on a product. In other words, you want iOS, you buy an Apple device. This certainly has its benefits (fantastic integration and excellent compatibility between the layers) but the lack of competition within the same ecosystem may foster stagnancy. This is just a theory and might explain why some Android phones seem more "exciting." That's not to say that the iPhone can't be a good product (it's a fantastic phone and the consistency across the phones is leagues ahead of any Android device except for maybe the Nexus line) but rather, there is an effort needed to differentiate from competitors using the same platform that doesn't exist for Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I went from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5. I had different reasons though - the main one being the iPhone 5 on Verizon in the US has an unlocked sim card slot. If I travel abroad I can pop whatever sim card I need into the slot.

Siri seems to have improved over the initial reports and Google Maps and Youtube are available now. That being said the upgrade seems incremental at best. I had a personal need as I will be traveling abroad - but that is a very niche reason to upgrade.

Now FTA - it seems that Apple was on tap with their suppliers for 65 million iPhones for this quarter. For the previous January to March (2012) the shipments for iPhones was 35.1 million. So cutting from 65 million to half - would put it at 32.5 million iPhones for the quarter. That would be a decline year over year which is why - I think the report is a little more significant.

The way Apple has been previously upgrading phones - most people wait at least 1 cycle (3 to 4 skip the 3s; 4 to 5 skip the 4s) which usually coincides with the 2 year upgrade of the cell providers. Of late - I've seen more people waiting 2 or more cycles. I've had several friends go from 3 to 5 (as mentioned previously) but in general no one I know is excited about the new iPhone 5 - they just wanted an upgrade that worked.

With the management shakeup - especially the head of iOS leaving - who knows what the iOS 7 will bring?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The way Apple has been previously upgrading phones - most people wait at least 1 cycle (3 to 4 skip the 3s; 4 to 5 skip the 4s) which usually coincides with the 2 year upgrade of the cell providers. Of late - I've seen more people waiting 2 or more cycles. I've had several friends go from 3 to 5 (as mentioned previously) but in general no one I know is excited about the new iPhone 5 - they just wanted an upgrade that worked.
I know a few people with an iP4 or 4s who couldn't care less. I think the "cool factor" might be more acute in the Android world where there are many more devices and thus, more "one upmanship." I could be wrong but when there are fewer devices (especially when they generally look the same), there is less of an impulse to go new.

With the management shakeup - especially the head of iOS leaving - who knows what the iOS 7 will bring?
Who knows but I'd love to be excited about iOS again. As many will know, I like iOS and think it's solid but it's become increasingly underwhelming. Maybe I've just lucked out and had great experiences with Android on solid hardware (and I've had my fair share of terrible Android experiences...I'm looking at you Xperia Pro collecting dust in my desk drawer) but at least it seems exciting. Then again, I'm also the first to admit that if Windows Phone has decent Google integration, I'd jump ship without hesitation and I'd drop money for a nice Lumia.

Reaction score
It feels like a wand. Long and skinny.

Not sure if that's good, or bad, but I tried a friends and did not like how the I5 felt or displayed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
I chose to stay with my 4S on Verizon instead of upgrading to the 5. Two primary factors: Screen size and case material. I want a screen size that is 4.5"+ for superior visual. The 5 aluminum case scratches/dings too easily and I don't want to hide the industrial beauty of the design. I do not use a case on my 4S. Love the gorilla glass back. Weight is fine with me. I imagine others are waiting for a larger device or have migrated to the android system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I went from the iPhone 4 to 5 and I'm really glad I did. I feel there's a great improvement in performance and speed and features. Not to mention how the 5 feels in my hand vs. the 4. I love Siri and although it isn't a perfect feature yet, it works great for whatever I've thrown at it so far. I thought I'd hate talking to my phone but after playing with it for a while I've really come around and use it for reminders and texting and searches, etc etc. I'll definitely be on a 2 yr renewal cycle from now on 4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 7...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought I'd hate talking to my phone but after playing with it for a while I've really come around and use it for reminders and texting and searches, etc etc.
Welcome to my world. However, I still can't get over the mental block. There's something very odd about opening up Google Now and telling an inanimate object to do things for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.