Office for Mac 2011 and Time Machine

Reaction score
I'm using Office for Mac 2011 (which I feel is buggy) on my iMac and my Time Machine isn't working right- or it may have been affected by the buggy Office. When you delete an EMPTY folder with NO subfolders in Outlook from your Deleted folder, it shouldn't proceed to delete over 400 messages in 100 other folders located in your Inbox! So I followed instructions to restore the Main Identity file from several days ago when I knew my 400+ emails were in their appropriate folders. Then I do the Export/Import into Outlook and those 400 messages will not import. If I do a search on the hard drive, it finds them in the Restored Main Identity folder, but I can't get them to go back into Outlook. Any suggestions? I worked on this over 12 hours yesterday and tried 3 different restores of the Identity and can't get those message to come in to Outlook. Thanks so much.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm using Office for Mac 2011 (which I feel is buggy) on my iMac and my Time Machine isn't working right- or it may have been affected by the buggy Office.

There's nothing wrong with Office for Mac 2011, however, keep in mind that Outlook Mac 2011 is version 1.0 software and as such still has some problems. Have you applied all the updates to Mac Office? (The latest update is 14.2.5.)

In order to restore the information from Outlook by using Time Machine, you first have to open Outlook. With Outlook open, attach your external hard drive which has the TM backups, invoke Time Machine and select restore. You'll see a list of the Outlook selections. Then select the date to restore from that you know has your data intact.

If I do a search on the hard drive, it finds them in the Restored Main Identity folder, but I can't get them to go back into Outlook. Any suggestions? I worked on this over 12 hours yesterday and tried 3 different restores of the Identity and can't get those message to come in to Outlook. Thanks so much.

If the method I suggested above still does not work for you, there may be corruption in the data base identity. The folks who hang out in the Microsoft Outlook Mac forums are well versed on how to resolve problems with Outlook Mac.

Here is the LINK to their forums. Post your question there and then let us know how it turns out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Agreed. It's not Office, it's Outlook and it IS buggy.

Reaction score
I am using outlook on my macbook air. My upgrade to OS Mavericks failed and caused me to wipe and restore the HD. I have been unable to restore my outlook after I used Time Machine to restore my HD. After the restore, Outlook had to rebuild my identity and it failed to rebuild successfully.

The identity that I cannot rebuild was a little over 15 GB and included a google account setup with IMAP.

Any helps/tips/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
JR

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.