My keyboard is loud!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
Ok so I bring my Ibook to class and sit in the back. I noticed that when the teacher is lecturing and I start typing that students turn around. I know the keyboard is loud and its kinda embarassing. I dont really care too much because it dosent bug me, but I just dont really want conformation.... Like someone going up to me saying something like... can you just write things down. Is there any way to make the keyboard quiet? Could I buy an aftermarket one that fits the slot... like does apple sell one that is quiet? Thanks,
-Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
the only thing i could think of doing is to buy an iSkin and put it on the keyboard.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
External would be nice, but then again is not really classroom effective (small desks). So do those little keyboard skins quiet things at all? I see how they could, but does anyone have one that they can report about.

J

jn4jenny

Corrosive said:
External would be nice, but then again is not really classroom effective (small desks). So do those little keyboard skins quiet things at all? I see how they could, but does anyone have one that they can report about.

Yes, the iSkin will make a difference. I use it with my Powerbook G4 12" in a classroom that only holds fifteen students, and if I hold it under the table, my classmates report that it is virtually silent. Sometimes they don't even know that I'm using it.

However, the iBook has a significantly louder keyboard than the Powerbook and if your classroom is quiet enough or has bad enough acoustics, it won't help enough. Classrooms are very quiet places, and if the acoustics are such that sound carries well (lecture halls and wide open rooms are particular offenders) then an iSkin might not save you the dirty looks.

The only 100% foolproof alternative I can think of is to get one of those flat USB touch keyboards with keys that don't depress, but just respond to your finger touch. But that's a lot more expensive than just using paper, which serves 99% of the rest of your class just fine.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
I agree, cost effective is nice. I will get an Iskin and see how it helps. No one is complaining yet, but its more of a mental thing to me... I hate when people are talking during lecture and its basically the same principal.

Reaction score
Terrible keyboard

This is a terrible keyboard...it's perhaps 3x louder, the key feel is very different, and I think the keys are even higher... it's literally more like a PC keyboard. Can we find out how to tell the new from old so I can find an old one! I'd pay $75 for one (incl. shipping).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
This is a terrible keyboard...it's perhaps 3x louder, the key feel is very different, and I think the keys are even higher... it's literally more like a PC keyboard. Can we find out how to tell the new from old so I can find an old one! I'd pay $75 for one (incl. shipping).

You're bumping a 5yr old thread with an ooooooooooooooold laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.