Connecting Wireless Printer

Reaction score
I have had my Mac Mini for just a few days and am in the big learning curve transferring from a PC. I purchased a Dell B1160w to use with the Mac Mini while traveling. I have plugged the printer into the Mini using the USB cable and nothing is happening. The printer is on.

Since there is not disc drive on the Mini, what do I do to get it to recognize the printer?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I have had my Mac Mini for just a few days and am in the big learning curve transferring from a PC. I purchased a Dell B1160w to use with the Mac Mini while traveling. I have plugged the printer into the Mini using the USB cable and nothing is happening. The printer is on.

Since there is not disc drive on the Mini, what do I do to get it to recognize the printer?

Thanks.

Hello and welcome,

Go to System Preferences>Hardware>Print and Scan>Print and click the + sign bottom left of the pane. Your mini should then find the printer.

OP
A
Reaction score
My apologies if this is posted twice. The mini did find the printer, but I can't get it to print. The message I get is "print file was not accepted".

Ideas?

Thanks for the help,
Beverly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My apologies if this is posted twice. The mini did find the printer, but I can't get it to print. The message I get is "print file was not accepted".

Ideas?

Thanks for the help,
Beverly

Hi Beverly..only thing I can suggest is go to the printer's website and download the driver for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Dell printers are re-badged Lexmark's sadly. Go to the Lexmark web site and look for one similar and try that. You will not find Apple drivers from Dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Here are the systems the Dell site offers drivers for.

Screen Shot 2013-01-13 at 19.59.14.png

OP
A
Reaction score
I downloaded the driver from the Dell website above. When I try to install it a box comes up that says "Installer can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer". The help box says it will be in Applications but it is not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also
When I try to install it a box comes up that says "Installer can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer"

If you go to system preferences > security and privacy you will see at the bottom of the box three download options, which one have you checked. I suspect from the above message it is either the first or second option.

1)Mac App store
2)Mac app store and identified developers
3)Anywhere.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was able to get this driver which seemed to go OK during install though I did not complete the process entirely since I don't need the drivers for that printer.

I think the message you are seeing is the one that is part of the latest security settings in OS X that were introduced in either 10.7 or 10.8. Try the following and see if it resolves the error:

1. Go to System Preferences and select the Security and Privacy pane.
2. Select the General tab. At the bottom of the tab change the setting to "Anywhere". If this choice is grayed out click the padlock and enter an administrator password.
3. Once the installer has completed its job you can return it to the previous settings.

That message happens if the system cannot identify something as being from a safe source. Since that driver pre-dates the OS it is a bit suspicious as far as the OS security settings are concerned.

I see Oldscribe's fingers are moving a bit faster than mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I had so much fun trying to get my older Dell printer to play nice with my Mac, I finally caved and picked up a brother all-in-one laser that is wireless and every computer pc/mac in my house talks nice to. Sometimes it could be worth it to pick up a new printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It isn't a Lexmark. And since it is a Mini, I am not able to load a CD.

Sorry..it was getting late. The Lexmark issue threw me as well.

Just a suggestion but one which may prove fruitful for you down the line, why don't you invest in an external CD/DVD read/writer ? Apple list a USB Superdrive in their store and Samsung have a decent looking one out at the moment which is less than half the price http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...ought-samsung-se208db-instead-superdrive.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few, ranging from an SE/30 to a recent MacBook Pro. Also, a Newton MP130, and some SGIs for kicks.
Dell printers are re-badged Lexmark's sadly. Go to the Lexmark web site and look for one similar and try that. You will not find Apple drivers from Dell.
Not always. Dell has used several companies as original equipment manufacturers over the years. This particular printer appears to be made by Samsung.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Your welcome agilityKnine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.