Microsoft Excel for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAcbook pro running OS X 10.8.2
I'm having problems with dates in excel
I use the application for databases, and I'm finding that the dates I enter for dates of birth change the year each time i open the programme. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a way I can stop this happening?
cheers
Frann

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
we'll need a bit more information. How are the dates changing? Has any type of date formatting been applied to the dates in question?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've formatted cells to default to say "29-Mar-2000" and when i open spreadsheet again it may display "29-Mar-2005". It happens in all date formats and is only the year that changes.
Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Are there any active formulas on those cells ... it may be a result of a calculation somewhere.
To verify that, switch off ' auto calculation ' in Excel and save the sheet with another name.
Open the sheet you just saved and see if the date changes.
if it doesn't, hit F9 ( calculate ) and if the date changes, then you know it is the result of a formula somewhere.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks McBie - turning off auto calculate seems to have worked - didn't know it existed! - I'll keep you posted

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.