Apples offer to replace my HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
It appears my iMac was built during the timeframe of bad hard drives and Apple sent me an e-mail offering to replace it for free. The downside is that they will not transfer the data from the old to the new without charge. I use Carbonite, but that doesn't back up everything. I have downloaded SuperDuper at Leo LaPortes (The Tech Guy) suggestion as a way to copy everything onto an external drive. It looks like an easy solution. My question is, what external drive do you suggest. Currently there is a 1 tb drive in my machine will it also back up Parallels and any Windows programs I have? I only use Quicken & Quicbooks on the Windows side. On the tech/nerd scale I'm about a -2, but I'm comfortable doing this...and if I get into a little trouble the IT guy at my wifes office can help.

iMac info:
27 " Late 2009
OS Lion 10.7.5
4gb 1067 MHz DDR3

Thanks

R.

PS..as long as I'm at it...thoughts to upgrading to Mountain Lion with Parallells installed...any issues?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I also use Superduper! - Realize it does not create the recovery partition with the backup - in which case, I recommend you put a Lion installer on a flash drive.

The other recommended clone software - CarbonCopyCloner does indeed create the recovery partition when it clones 10.7 / 10.8.

WinClone is now back for backing up BootCamped Windows partitions.
Check out the directions here and also the video at TwoCanoes website.

You'll need 2 partitions on your external - one for the OS X clone and another for the Windows backup.

I've not had upgrading OS X affect my Bootcamp partitions, but I always have a backup of both before I do the upgrade - just in case.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well..I've just been downgraded to tech/nerd 4.0...how do I make the recovery partition on the flash drive and how is it used? I'm guessing that's how it prods the backup to reinstall on the new hard drive. How do I determine what size to make each partition...or does it matter. I'm guessing there is somewhere on my Mac that will give me that info. Any suggestions on which HD to get for the backup?

Reaction score
Replace HD in 27" iMac

Apple just completed my replacement of the 1 TB HD at my house. I use TimeMachine to back up the data to another Hard Disk. (This is a one time set up and forget process.) Also I created an OSX recovery Thumb Drive (must be 4 Gig or larger) (Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks.). This way you don't need your original Computer Disk and then go through all the updates from the Original System. I started with 10.8.2, and it brought back the new drive with this system.

After the Hard Disk was replaced, the computer was booted off the OSX Recovery Thumb Drive, then Time machine was selected to reinstall the data. The Tech left the house and the computer automatically copied the data off TimeMachine. The copy took about an hour. There was no need for the Tech to stay and stare at the screen during this copy process.

I was concerned initially that the Tech would leave without the process being completed, but they are right. Nothing more needs to be done.

It was so simple I will always keep my recovery Thumb Drive updated with every system update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Whatever external drive you purchase for your backup you do not need to partition it into 2, that would only be required if you have a Boot Camp partition, you are using Parallels. Carbon Copy Cloner will clone the whole hard drive, including your Windows that resides in your Documents folder.

In Carbon Copy Cloner the option to clone the Recovery Partition is found under the Window drop down menu in Disk Center.

Apple's Time Machine software will copy your complete hard drive, but sometimes can fail to restore. You have no way of knowing this until you attempt a restore. With a cloned drive you can boot from it to verify it is working.

There are many reputable external hard drives, Seagate and Western Digital are 2.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks...soooo...if I use the Carbon Copy Cloner, I do not have to make an OS X recovery thumb drive? How does a clean HD know to look at the external drive to get things started to recovery?...process of elimination? This all sounds too easy...must be a catch...lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Thanks...soooo...if I use the Carbon Copy Cloner, I do not have to make an OS X recovery thumb drive? How does a clean HD know to look at the external drive to get things started to recovery?...process of elimination? This all sounds too easy...must be a catch...lol

After cloning your hard drive, verify the clone by rebooting holding down the ALT key. You will then see your internal hard drive, it's recovery partition and your external cloned drive. Select the cloned drive. It should boot, check all is OK.

When your hard drive is replaced, do the same as above, booting from the cloned drive. Launch Carbon Copy Cloner, select the cloned drive as the source and the new drive as the destination, clone the recovery partition back, then the cloned drive.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After cloning your hard drive, verify the clone by rebooting holding down the ALT key. You will then see your internal hard drive, it's recovery partition and your external cloned drive. Select the cloned drive. It should boot, check all is OK.

When your hard drive is replaced, do the same as above, booting from the cloned drive. Launch Carbon Copy Cloner, select the cloned drive as the source and the new drive as the destination, clone the recovery partition back, then the cloned drive.

Thanks a bunch...sounds like I'll be ok

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK...so I bought a 1TB WD My Passport for Mac. I have d/l Carbon Copy Cloner and will be using that. I hate to look like a complete idiot...but which Apple key would be considered the "Alt" key?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
but which Apple key would be considered the "Alt" key?

That would be the "option" key.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool...thanks. Here we go..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.