Changing viewing options

Reaction score
Hi all

Some program changed the way my computer views some files. When i open my hardrive and click on pictures icons and folders are on thecolumn to the right. If i click on the icon named iphoto it nopens the program instead of showing folders on the column to the right. If i right click on the iphoto icon it shows iphoto is listed as defalt program. the other option is to click on (other ).If i click on (other ) it opens a window so i can choose what program works when i click on iphoto. I want to see folders instead of opening the iphoto program when i click on the iphoto icon when looking in the hardrive. what program do i need the choose?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Nothing has been changed on your Mac. The iPhoto Library file(the file that opened iPhoto) is designed like that.

iPhoto is a database that stores your pictures. When you create Albums or Folders in iPhoto, the pictures in those Albums/Folders are just links back to the original photo. When you edit a photo, it displays the edited picture, but keeps the original in a separate folder, so at any stage in the future you can "revert to original". All those Folders and Albums(and other stuff) are kept in the iPhoto Library.

Everything that you want to do with your pictures should be done within iPhoto. That is why when you double clicked on the iPhoto Library file it opened iPhoto.

However, if you really, really want to get inside then Right/Ctrl click on it and choose "Show Package Contents". Just be aware that you mess with the contents at your peril. Doing so can seriously mess up iPhoto and is not recommended.

OP
S
Reaction score
Nothing has been changed on your Mac. The iPhoto Library file(the file that opened iPhoto) is designed like that.

iPhoto is a database that stores your pictures. When you create Albums or Folders in iPhoto, the pictures in those Albums/Folders are just links back to the original photo. When you edit a photo, it displays the edited picture, but keeps the original in a separate folder, so at any stage in the future you can "revert to original". All those Folders and Albums(and other stuff) are kept in the iPhoto Library.

Everything that you want to do with your pictures should be done within iPhoto. That is why when you double clicked on the iPhoto Library file it opened iPhoto.

However, if you really, really want to get inside then Right/Ctrl click on it and choose "Show Package Contents". Just be aware that you mess with the contents at your peril. Doing so can seriously mess up iPhoto and is not recommended.

Thanks for the response
If i sign in with my other account it shows folders One is named (originals). My brother has been using macs for thirty years and has never seen it open like mine does. He says when he goes on the hardrive/pictures/iphoto it always shows folders. It does not start iphoto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
He says when he goes on the hardrive/pictures/iphoto it always shows folders.
It does that in OS X Tiger(10.4), but I think that changed with Leopard(10.5) so that it became a package requiring the Right/Ctrl click to get in to it. It certainly works like that with Snow Leopard(10.6)

What OS are you using? I can't think why you get different actions with different accounts though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.