External Hard Drive not readable on Mac

Reaction score
My USB port on my hard drive broke so I had the drive transferred into a new enclosure. I just got it back, and the new drive isn't reading to my laptop. I'm getting a notification to either 'Initialize, Ignore, or Eject'. Is there anyway to get it to read without having to erase the entire drive? Thanks, any help is much appreciated.

Picture 20.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like whoever did the work for you or the process of putting it into a new enclosure wiped the drive. If the drive can't be read without initializing it, you may not be able to recover your data. You might want to give Scannerz software a try. You can download a trial copy to see if it will work to find your data on that drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hate to say this but sure looks like whoever did the work did not know much about Macs and has formatted it to MS DOS or NTFS hence asks to initialize the disk.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think the guys are right but you might try the following. I have had it work a few times when the drive in question had its contents scrambled a bit due to some power issues.

1. Launch Disk Utility and select the drive from the menu on the left.
2. If the option is available select Repair Disk. If it is not available then the drive has likely been formatted.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the drive were formatted to DOS or NTFS, it would be readable. The drive is not able to be read according to the OP. The system wants to initialize it which usually means the drive is either bare or the file table is so scrambled that it can't recognize it.

The software I linked him to may be able to read the drive. I'm not even sure that Disk Warrior would work on a drive which is in that condition.

OP
K
Reaction score
I tried to select repair disk, but it's gray'd out. And the Scannerz demo doesn't seem to scan my external drive. Looking like I may have to reformat the drive and start from scratch. I attached a picture of the drive's information, and it looks like it needs to be formatted. Thanks everyone, and any other input is welcome.

Picture 21.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.