Notification center preferences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
The notifications that show up in the upper right hand top of the screen are a nice feature of Mountain Lion, but like those big electronic billboards on the road, you have to be fast to get the info before it is gone. And if you have turned around to fill up your Dr. Pepper glass, they might as well not waste CPU cycles.

Apparently there is no way to lengthen the time that the message stays on the screen. At least googling hasn't found it and there is nothing in the notifications control panel about length of display.

Anybody know a way to make them last longer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The alerts you see are still in notification center so - you can just click on notification center to see what you missed.

Each app can have it's own notification setting - you can set them to all alerts - which means you have to manually dismiss them.

You could also try this from the terminal
Can I speed up the auto-dismissal of Notification Center banners? - Ask Different

Before you do anything from the terminal - understand that one wrong move could destroy your system - so be very careful here if you do not know how to use the terminal. Backup early and often.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.notificationcenterui bannerTime <SECONDS>

An interesting read on how this was found - find hidden settings
How to find hidden preference settings | Macworld

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.