• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Rumor puts fifth-gen iPad, second-gen iPad mini in March

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
At the rate they're churning out iPads, the iPad3 still looks good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Agreed - Upgrading iPads every 6 months is an interesting proposition - when most software still runs well on an iPad 2/iPad Mini hardware. I know my Wife's iPad 4 is faster than my iPad 3 - but I only notice when I am sitting next to her and we are playing some WiFi games. The iPad 3 is plenty fast for software that I have loaded - that is available on the App Store.

That being said - a Mini with a retina display is still somewhat compelling to me. That would end up fitting in a much smaller manbag/murse as opposed to the full sized iPad.

What would make more sense to me is to stagger the iPad Mini/iPad rollout - that is put out the full size iPad or Mini - then in 6 months put out the other one. Then you would still have a year between iPad updates but you would be getting some new iPad news every 6 months (kind of like staggering the olympics between summer and winter) Otherwise - I am already suffering from release fatigue - and a little buyers remorse for not waiting 6 months. Now I have to carry a lightning cable (for the iPhone 5) and a 30 pin cable for my old and busted iPad. Life is full of first world problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I doubt new iPads in March (already??), but I hope it's true because I'm in the market for a new one. My 1st gen iPad is too sluggish.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Still got my iPad 3 on my night stand. Definitely going to upgrade both iPad Mini and iPad this time around if the rumors are true.

Reaction score
A March release would put the iPads back on their original Springtime release schedule. According to Mac Buyer's Guide, We saw releases in April 2010, March 2011, and March 2012. When we unexpectedly saw the new iPad in October, perhaps it was just a flash in the pan?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just hope that Apple isn't EOLing the earlier models as quickly as they did with the iPad 1, given the rate of releases.

The iPad 1 came out in early 2010 and by mid 2012, they had stopped releasing updates for it, despite still supporting the iPhone 4, which has essentially the same hardware (making it technically capable of running iOS 6).

This is all well and good for phones, which tend to get replaced every 2 years or so - but on a machine designed to be a general purpose computing platform, it's quite frankly absurd - and their motives are transparent.

Reaction score
I just hope that Apple isn't EOLing the earlier models as quickly as they did with the iPad 1, given the rate of releases.

The iPad 1 came out in early 2010 and by mid 2012, they had stopped releasing updates for it, despite still supporting the iPhone 4, which has essentially the same hardware (making it technically capable of running iOS 6).

This is all well and good for phones, which tend to get replaced every 2 years or so - but on a machine designed to be a general purpose computing platform, it's quite frankly absurd - and their motives are transparent.

More than a few of us have the original Ipad. A disappointing development.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Have to admit my iPad1 now seems very bulky and heavy compared with my iPad Mini.

However, that applies to all of the full-sized iPads.

The resolution of the smaller screen iPad Mini seems fine to me. No plans to buy another one for a while yet :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.