USB Keyboard?

Reaction score
This is going to sound stupid I know. But i'm going to ask it anyway on the off chance.

I know that the Boot Camp assistant requires you to have a USB keyboard until you have the drivers for the wireless keyboard etc.

But I have a problem. I don't have a USB keyboard nor do I know anyone who has one as all my friends have MBPs or iMacs which also come with a wireless keyboard. So my question is, is there any way to bypass this and somehow get by without one?

I don't like the idea of buying one for the sole purpose of using it for less than 4 minutes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Keeping an inexpensive wired keyboard handy is a good idea as it can be used for troubleshooting. Here in the US they can be had for as little as $10.00.

To answer your question.... as far as I know there is no work around when using the Boot Camp assistant.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, no. The Bluetooth stack hasn't been configured, so the interface to talk to a bluetooth keyboard doesn't exist. The situation is roughly akin to trying to plug a USB keyboard into a machine with no USB ports.

Fortunately, USB keyboards are cheap (should be available for less than $10) - and if you buy it from a store with a good return policy - well, then, you shouldn't need to waste your money.

Or you could just forgo Boot Camp altogether and install via a virtualization product, eliminating this and many other headaches.

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay thanks guys.

I thought there may be a stupid, ridiculously difficult way of like...using a cable between the iMac and my MBP or something haha.

Virtualization isn't for me unfortunately, plus i've already purchased a full retail copy of windows especially for bootcamp :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Virtualization isn't for me unfortunately, plus i've already purchased a full retail copy of windows especially for bootcamp :p

You can move the license, or you can boot your Boot Camp partition from a VM.

Any reason why it's not for you? Unless you're playing really hardware intensive games, it's so much more convenient.

OP
C
Reaction score
For that exact reason funnily enough haha. I intend on gaming on the machine so need all the available hardware I can get really.

Thanks anyway though!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, gotcha - makes sense. Have fun with it!

BTW, you may find that USB keyboard to be more responsive if you're doing serious gaming.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.