Speed of Macbook Pro (question)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro 13” (2,5 ghz, 4GB Ram, 500 GB Hard Disk), which is my first Mac, and there are 2 problems I have encountered:

1. When closing the lid at night, and opening up the Mac the next morning takes around 20+ seconds for it to get responsive (including trackpad). For those 20+ seconds I see the time still being indicated when I closed it (23:45 pm for instance) and then it gets back to the current time (08:15 am) after 20+ seconds. During these 20+ seconds the Mac is totally unresponsive (it

NB: I am aware that there are settings to change regarding sleeping mode/hybernating mode, but regardless of the changes made (even with a sudo command) it does not change this problem)

Any suggestions?

2. When having only a few programs active (Mail and Outlook and Safari) I am trying to open Opera. And it takes 15 bounces (!) before Opera is opening. Is this normal? It happens also to other programs when, to me, the loading time seems to excessive. Is there any way to figure out what is restraining the system? (I use the ”correct permission” thingy on a regular basis). Is it just me being to demanding, or are such program start-up times normal?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Have a look at Activity Monitor and click on the system memory tab to see if your ram has been gobbled up - OSX seems to like ram a lot.
If it is try a reboot and see if things improve.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
thanks for the quick reply

Below a screenshot

evdved.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Yep, not much free ram there (if I understand these things correctly).
When did you last reboot it? I think a reboot will show a big improvement. Though I'm definitely no expert :-(

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doing a reboot now.... :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it now takes 6 bounces before Opera opens (instead of 15 bounces) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Hmm, that doesn't sound too good, but it's better :) How is your ram now, in Activity Monitor? How do other apps respond?
There could be an underlying problem but I'm afraid I'm not knowledgable enough to make any suggestions as to what that might be :-(

C

chas_m

The reason the restart helped is because the Activity Monitor picture you included (thanks!) shows that you are likely to be leaving programs open that you aren't using, which takes up resources when you only have 4GB of RAM as it appears you have.

Get in the habit of closing programs you're not using, and/or upgrade the RAM.

Reaction score
i always figured 4gb ddr3 was good, especially on osx since its much lighter than windows o_O

i have the same mac as you OP - how much max ram do these support? 8 gb? if i took it to the apple store how much would it cose for an upgrade? im scared to do itmyself.

C

chas_m

A mid-2012 should support 8GB, and it's not an expensive upgrade at all. The Apple Store can do that for you, but may charge a fee for their time as well as for the RAM. You might get an estimate from a non-Apple Store Apple Authorized Dealer, it could be cheaper to do that way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to Mactracker and OWC a mid 2012 MBP can accept up to 16 GB of memory. That would be 2 x 8 GB modules. A bit expensive but is certainly doable.

C

chas_m

But to answer the original question, the probably reason why shutdown takes so long is because you are leaving programs open, and the Mac has to write the contents of RAM to the hard drive in order to resume when it's booted back up.

As I said earlier, quitting programs before shutdown should dramatically reduce the time needed for it to do this.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you all for the comments and information :)

Reaction score
**** i need to upgrade to 8 gb already?? i just got this thing and 4gb is outdated ? :'( seems to run fine so far for me

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
**** i need to upgrade to 8 gb already?? i just got this thing and 4gb is outdated ? :'( seems to run fine so far for me

If it's running fine...then no need to upgrade.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also had this ”CPU LED” thing running at the top bar. It something hang when wanting to shut down, so I got rid of it all together.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found out in fact that this CPU LED program was actually causing the problem. I just opened my Macbook Pro (after I closed it down last night) and it woke up instantly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Strange. I use that same app and it doesnt give me any problems but if it fixed it then great!

C

chas_m

As mentioned earlier, a change in behavior on how you manage programs (ie, shut them down yourself by truly quitting them when not in use or at least prior to engaging shutdown) will also make a big difference.

I come from the days when RAM was a precious and expensive commodity, so I got in the habit of shutting down most programs I wasn't immediately using as I worked. This habit has stood me in good stead over the years even though I have 8GB on this machine now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.