How to find GPU memory allocation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod 4th gen, MacBook Pro 2.4GHz.
Hello Mac-Forums, I have 2 questions:
1. I was wondering how to see the GPU memory allocation on my MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel core duo, 8GB DDR3, OS-X 10.6.8), the reason being I want to see if a program is using inappropriate amounts of V-RAM which could cause my MacBook Pro to overheat.
2. I know that there are always lots of people asking why their system is so hot, but, while only having 20% CPU used and no graphically demanding games/programs open, My CPU is running at 70 degrees (Celsius), and my GPU is running at 60 degrees, why do I have these high temperatures without the workload?
Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Those are not high temps on a MBP. High would be in the mid 90s+.

And I have too many 6-8 hr gaming sessions to count with my 6 yr old MBP running in the 95c+ range.

Personally, I would suggest you quit looking at the temps and just enjoy using your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
1. Ram allocated to the GPU will have no affect on heat generation or dissipation.

2. Those temperatures sound perfectly reasonable. You say no workload but that's not the case. There's always some workload if the machine is powered up.

Is your Mac having issues that have prompted the question?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those are not high temps on a MBP. High would be in the mid 90s+.

And I have too many 6-8 hr gaming sessions to count with my MBP running in the 95c+ range.

Personally, I would suggest you quit looking at the temps and just enjoy using your computer.

High temperatures are understandable for gaming, but it doesn't make sense that the computer is running that hot with not much open, even with the MacBook Pros' practically non-existent ventilation.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Ram allocated to the GPU will have no affect on heat generation or dissipation.

2. Those temperatures sound perfectly reasonable. You say no workload but that's not the case. There's always some workload if the machine is powered up.

Is your Mac having issues that have prompted the question?

My computer isn't having any problems, I was just thought it was rather hot and that there might be a program misusing large amounts of memory. Better safe than sorry. :p

EDIT: I also wasn't worried about RAM being allocated to the GPU, I'm using the 9600 GT dedicated card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.