• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple losing 'cool' among teens, says marketing group

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
FTA
Forbes also cites several other teen marketing surveys, in which Apple either remained static or dropped several spots. A Smarty Pants poll still shows 67 percent of rich teenagers wanting an iPhone as their next phone upgrade, but Samsung is in second place at 22 percent -- unusually high considering Apple's once overwhelming dominance in teen preferences.

Maybe I'm not the greatest at math but 67% is ~3x more people than 22% - that want an iPhone - so I guess - if they dropped a few points that is loosing coolness. But some poles have remained static - which would indicate holding coolness.

I like reading the Macalope - as he points out fuzzy math and such like this.
The Macalope

Reaction score
Well, coming from a generation that either hated Apple because they liked the alternatives, or loved Apple because the alternatives "sucked", I went both ways - rid a Windows XP and another Vista computer for two Macs (MB and Mm), then was given two Win7 PCs after that (because I was working for an IT startup here in town).

Now I just don't care either way. A computer is a computer, and either OS (or mobile OS for that matter) can do much of the same as the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Really

All the kids I see are still using Blackberries, but the "let's use the free BBM" isn't helping out RIm that much

And surface tablets, come on, I haven't even seen one yet. Maybe Apple are too mainstream now, but the alternatives need to be a lot more more compelling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Agreed. I'm amazed at how many teens I see using BBs. They claim to hate it though.

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm amazed at how many teens I see using BBs. They claim to hate it though.

I can't stand BB. My mother has one, and it's been confusing for even her to use...I suppose some people love them...I just like the idea of a touch screen. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
I quit Apple when they created Lion/Cloud and other products demanding I buy/use other of their products I do not and will not use. When all these Mac products quit being supported by Apple I will be buying HP/Windows products again after 8 years of Macs. Sad, because they really had a perfect product until the Corporate greed took over the company plus the lose of Steve Jobs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I quit Apple when they created Lion/Cloud and other products demanding I buy/use other of their products I do not and will not use. When all these Mac products quit being supported by Apple I will be buying HP/Windows products again after 8 years of Macs. Sad, because they really had a perfect product until the Corporate greed took over the company plus the lose of Steve Jobs.

That is a weird way to put it - as you are not forced to use iCloud or any of the Apple services. I haven't bought anything from iTunes Music for years - I was using Napster (the legal version) and now Spotify as subscription music. Although the iCloud integration is nice for files - I don't have to use it - and I still find myself using Dropbox more often than iCloud.

If you think going to another product will alleviate this "integration problem" - you will find that Google wants you to use all its services (docs, gmail, calendar, etc) Microsoft has its own skydrive, hotmail services that are now integrated into Windows 8. So if you are going back to HP/Windows - you better hurry and get Windows 7 and stay there - because Windows 8 has all the that cloud integration too - just with Microsoft services.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
FTA

Maybe I'm not the greatest at math but 67% is ~3x more people than 22% - that want an iPhone - so I guess - if they dropped a few points that is loosing coolness. But some poles have remained static - which would indicate holding coolness.

I like reading the Macalope - as he points out fuzzy math and such like this.
The Macalope
Remember, these figures come from the "Smarty Pants Poll." ;)

Really

All the kids I see are still using Blackberries, but the "let's use the free BBM" isn't helping out RIm that much

And surface tablets, come on, I haven't even seen one yet. Maybe Apple are too mainstream now, but the alternatives need to be a lot more more compelling.

I think the reason is simple: price. BBs are cheaper and for many youth, fill their need to text all day.

I quit Apple when they created Lion/Cloud and other products demanding I buy/use other of their products I do not and will not use.
Although Apple certainly privileges their services over others, you don't have to use them nor is this any different from what other companies do. Google privileges their own services (for instance, there is native Google Drive integration in GMail but not Dropbox or iCloud) as does MS (which privileges Windows Live services over any other). Let's use my example - I use Android mobile devices and an iPod Touch, all of which work just fine with my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
^^^^ Well said Ivan . . . . .

"Everything moves in cycles and you can’t rest on your past glory. You’ve got to evolve to maintain relevance. Apple just needs to focus on innovation and teens will come back," she says.

And this is why Apple should have no need to worry. Some day down the track there will be anothe Ice Age, and that is just the cycle this Earth is in :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Relatively speaking, teens don't have that much money to spend on new things. Not many teens have $1500+ to dump on a PC, and a smaller percentage of homes (in this recession economy) have parents giving kids blank checks or high limit credit cards to buy a new MacBook. New Macs cost "real" money to most other than about 5% of the population. Even decent used Macs sell for more than many new Dells. I dislike that which I cannot have (or afford) was a popular meme for me when I was 14. "I didn't want it anyway!" Teen opinion polls are not something I would base too many long term plans upon.

Just my anecdotal spin on why "Macs suck" as far as teens go right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.